Tube Bait And Jig Heads

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Robert11
Angler
Angler

Tube Bait And Jig Heads

Post by Robert11 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:46 am

Hi,

Thought I would try some Tube Baits with Jig Heads for the very first time. Do Pond fishing mainly.

So, I bought some small tube baits. The kind with the multitude of wiggly tails.
Seem to be of the hollow inside type that I purchased.
Probably should have thought about this some more, but also picked up a package of jig heads.

Not sure, though if they are what I need, or want.

They are:

Eagle Claw
Tin
Ball Head Jig 1/8 oz
NLJB03-18

They have a painted head (with a painted eye), a small single Barb, and the eye for attaching a line is out the TOP.

Would like to insert them from the back, and have the line-eye come out the top of the tube, rather than
have it all in the front..

But since these are painted, and have barb, I now am guessing that they are only made for inserting from the
tip/front of the tube.

a. Is this correct ?

Can they, these heads that I bought, also, be used by inserting from the rear, or are really made for front insertion only, as they have a barb, are painted, etc. ? ?

b. Is there likely enough "meat" on these hollow tubes to use them from the front of the tube ?

c. Can anyone please point me to what I should buy if I want to insert the jig from the rear ?

Are there any good links or videos that describe these methods ?

Thanks for all the previous help,

Bob

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tube Bait And Jig Heads

Post by JerryC » Thu May 09, 2013 2:56 am

Bob, you need to use tube jigs that go inside the tube for the best results.. There are MANY companies who make these. Contact Gary (he is also a TT member) from thetackletrap.com, i am sure he has some tube jigs for you. As for Tubes, a lot of companies make great ones, I found my best success with the powerteam lures tubes, there a bit different than your normal tubes which to me may be the reason why i have done so well with tube baits this season already.. also its not fat like alot of tubes are.. its a smaller body so for me in NJ with the fish in pre-spawn mode, this is my best bet. You may experience differences where you live but trust me on the tube jig... You do not need painted heads.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu May 09, 2013 4:39 am

If you go to youtube and check out videos you'll understand a bit more but for now I'll try to help. You can fish a tube a number of different ways, many use an inside jighead, these come in either 90 degree line tie, which is what you have, and 60 degree line tie. I make ball jigs that work as an inside jighead but you have to make sure that the hook is the right length for the size of the tube. The best rig is to be able to put the head inside the tube and when it reaches the top of the tube the bend of the hook should be right where the tail is cut. If the jighead has a collar with a barb you can rig it outside the tube as well if you prefer but I like the inside approach better.

Robert11
Angler
Angler

From OP: Re: Tube Bait And Jig Heads

Post by Robert11 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 am

Hi Folks,

Thanks for advice and help.
Much appreciated.

O.K., I'll put the jig inside the tube, as suggested.

But, would like to ask:

Under what conditions do they, usually, work "better" outside the tube vs all inside the tube ?

just trying to get a little education.

Thanks again,
Bob

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Thu May 09, 2013 9:07 am

Better outside vs. inside? Probably more a matter of individuals experience and choice but for me it's been when stealth has been a primary concern I'll only use tube jigs hooks vs. standard jigs hooks (exterior head).

Regular jig heads are rarely ideal for tubes because the plastic on tubes tends to be fairly thin and the retaining hook on the head of jigs that keeps the head in place in the plastic tears out easily and slides down the hook. Image
Sure you could try to glue it in place but that's not always an option. I've heard that there may be tubes with plastic or foam filled interiors available which would be ideal for standard jigs or weightless hooks but I haven't had any experience with them.

Most of the typical tube jig hooks have a tapered round lead head which gives a predictable/controllable retrieve. Image

A brand called Gitzit uses a flat head for the same purpose and gives you a real erratic tube movement on the retrieve that seems to really attract the bite.

Color can be a huge attractant with some fish like walleye; the few times I've used a std. jig head has been when walleye fishing and they were hitting baits with a yellow orange or orange chartreuse colored round ball jig head on a white 2.5" tube or grub.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

When in doubt just use the std. wtd. tube jig hook, especially for smallmouth bass! Good luck.

Robert11
Angler
Angler

From OP: Re: Tube Bait And Jig Heads

Post by Robert11 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:30 am

Hi,

Thanks for all the help.
Appreciate it.

Question: For a Tube Bait, with the internal weighted hook:

Are these fished usually "only" via a slack drop, or are they effective also if slowly retrieved ?

What's the typical method ?

Thanks again,
Bob

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 am

In many cases it depends on the fish species. For smallmouth I cast them and drag them back like a crayfish or hop them back on a slow retrieve. For walleye they're vertically jigged. There are no hard fast rules to using them. Whatever the fish want is what the get. I even take a bit of a plastic foam or sponge, apply my favorite scent like Smelly Jelly or Pro-Cure to it and stuff it down the head of the tube followed by the weighted tube hook. :big grin:

Hope this helps.