Hack attack jig

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Hack attack jig

Post by agggh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Let me start off by saying i dont really like strike king. But nonetheless, i heard some good things from a friend so I picked one up. The one I got was a half ounce green pumpkin with some orange in it

I went to my local lake to test it out yesterday by doing some flipping and pitching. I flipped wood mixed with weeds around them for like 5 hours. I did not get hung up once. I was amazed. I usually hate flipping wood with jigs because I get hung up so much that I opt for flipping beavers or craws. It came through weeds decently, but not as nice as a t-rig.

I got 9 bass up to about 3 lbs. 3 of them were hooked twice. The hook would go through there cheeks and then back through there lips. And one bass was triple hooked. (Through the lip twice somehow). So 4 bass out of 9 were hooked greatly, and some others were hooked right in the snout. I didnt lose any fish, and actually needed pliers for most of the bass.

I'm sold on these jigs for flipping based on the hook alone and how well I hooked bass. I will probably make these my go to flipping jig, but pepper jigs will probably remain my football jig go to.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Hack attack jig

Post by John Puckett » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:56 pm

I myself just recently picked up some of these jigs and I've come to pretty much the same conclusion. I got a 1 ounce for heavy grass flipping and two 3/8's for pitching around to shallow wood and grass. I've only caught a handful on the 3/8 so far I'm going to be picking up more the next time I'm at Bass Pro.

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Glad to hear that they worked for you too.

Hopefully the durability is good on these.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:50 am

Other than football jigs, this is the the only jig I'm fishing now.

The 1/2oz model works best for me but I do carry some 3/4 for over 15' or heavy wood.

You can't straighten that hook on any rod I own. Previously I bought some jigs built by a guy in NC that a lot of FLW guys use - Hook opened up on me with a Falcon Amistad and 20lb Flourocarbon. This wasn't a finesse jig either. Fish just swam off.

The Hack Attach is the real deal- especially if you fish braid.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 am

I have been getting a lot of guys asking me to use that hook in the jigs I make but Gamakatsu makes that specifically for SK and I believe it is just a 28 or 30 degree round bend hook that just works really well with the head design. I make my own but if I was ever going to buy a jig off the shelf I would get that one after all the good things I've heard.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 am

In building jigs for so long,I have had guys ask me about that jig as well. When I saw a hack attack jig, they were originally designed for heavy brush and timber. So I noticed early on that they do have a super strong hook and most of all a very heavy weedguard. After seeing the components that make up this jig, I now can make that jig with the stated the Gami 30 degree heavy hook along with a heavy weedguard. Those are the two key components, and yes the hack attack is an excellent jig.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 pm

I was told that jig was a copy of a jig that is used widely down on Amistad by locals.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:I was told that jig was a copy of a jig that is used widely down on Amistad by locals.
Funny you mention that, but everything seems to be a copy of something whether from the past or currently. Not many really innovative ideas.
Last edited by cadman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:35 pm

I've continued to use these jigs and I've also continued to be pleased with them. I find they skip very well, especially the 3/8oz with a Menace as the trailer. I am still trying to find the sweet spot as far as trimming the brush guard, some I cut some I don't. The only other thing I do to them is remove the rubber band around the skirt and tie them on with braid.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:07 pm

puckett, that is a good idea!!!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Yep...I do that with my spinnerbaits as well. The skirt life is so much longer as there is no rubber collar to deteriorate.

FishG3
Angler
Angler

Post by FishG3 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Tying those extends the life of the bait X 2. I haven't used this jig much but have been impressed with the little time that I did.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:41 am

What size braid do you use to tie? How difficult is this to do? Those look great!

Is there a specific knot you use to tie them off?

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:40 pm

LAGVPI99 wrote:What size braid do you use to tie? How difficult is this to do? Those look great!

Is there a specific knot you use to tie them off?
Thank you, although admittedly some turn out prettier than others. I just started doing this maybe 3 weeks or so ago so I'm probably not the best guy to tell you how exactly to go about it. I'm sure there are better ways than how I'm currently doing it but I'll just have to figure them out as I go.

All I do is try to pick the color braid that best matches the skirt out of whatever I have lying around. I don't think pound test really matters I've used 20# pp on some and 20, 50, & 65 super slick on others. I also just use a simple overhand knot tied 3 times back to back then use a lighter to burn the tag ends down even with the knot. It secures the knot pretty good.

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bladerunner808 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:22 am

All I use for flip/pitch. I love them. Ochobee Craw is my go-to color because it mimics Bluegills nicely and it is a confidence color for me. I only buy it in that color in 1/2oz.