How to set hook on Spinnerbait trailer hook?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
liljohn242
Angler
Angler

How to set hook on Spinnerbait trailer hook?

Post by liljohn242 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 am

Is there a certain way to set the hook with a Spinnerbait with a trailer hook. It seems I'm missing more fish with a trailer hook. I feel the tap instead of a grab from the fish. I'm using the Strike King Premier which it comes with a trailer hook and longer skirt. You guys think the skirt is too long? Does the fish bite at the end of the long skirt?

Thanks

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How to set hook on Spinnerbait trailer hook?

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:02 am

Skirt could be too long as they might be tail biting the bait.. Try trimming it so the tail is just in front or flush to the bend of the trailer hook.. Usually with a trailer hook they getstuck on short strikes.. You can also add another trailer hook..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:07 pm

The missed fish you are experiencing could be due to fish striking the blades, small fish, or Bluegill nipping the bait. I have used skirts similar to the one you are using, and had good success with them, but I did trim both the body and trailer of the skirt to fit the blade length. If you are missing fish on a spinnerbait with a trailer hook you need to change color/size. Also, adding a soft plastic trailer can help, even though it already had a built in one, because it increases the lures bulk and resistance, making it easier for the fish to inhale.... Hope this helps!

-Bass Junkie

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 am

I've been using Strike King Premiers lately and my hook up ratio has gone up. I do catch about a third of them on the trailer hook so it seems to be a good design.