Anyone prefer rattles with swim jigs and hair jigs?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Anyone prefer rattles with swim jigs and hair jigs?

Post by l2yan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:31 am

Just curious. I fish hair a lot but have never used rattles with them. Seems like no one actually offers them with rattles attached. Also curious if swimming jigs with rattles is popular. I'm thinking of starting a tackle company soon and am trying to get some more ideas. Thanks!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Anyone prefer rattles with swim jigs and hair jigs?

Post by nsfisher » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:42 am

On some of my hand pour swim jigs i will put an occasional rattle, but for the most part i only use a swim jig in clearer water so the need for a rattle is lesser. In murky water i put rattles on all my jigs, but like i already mentioned a swim jig is more of a clear water bait.

So bottom line most of my swim jigs don't have a rattle, but if i am not getting to many bites than i will throw a rattle on there and see what happens

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:07 pm

I have a guy that ties hair jigs for me and when he's done I put rattles on. However I have had only good success with them in early Spring when the water is really cold.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:02 pm

If I'm going hair, then no rattles

As far as swim jigs go, I guess i don't fish them enough to have an opinion.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:32 am

NO and NO. i fish both baits quite often and never use rattles. If the water is stained i'd be throwing a spinnerbait rather than a swim jig and w/ hair in the winter bass are slow and spooky and in the summer ledge fishing hair it's more of a natural sight bait no need for rattles :idea:

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:43 am

When the bite is tough and if I am using hair jigs, I don't use rattles. Also I fish hair jigs very slow so the rattles won't help anyway.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Well I started to experiment with rattles on my hair jigs. I fish them slow at times, but my #1 technique at the moment is stroking them, and not only deep water but everywhere! I don't think the rattles make any difference when I just use a steady retrieve, but when I'm stroking them, especially in stained to slightly stained waters, I'm convinced that they are a big help. Fish attack it like I'm fishing a crankbait or something :shock:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:40 am

No on hair, heck yes on swim jigs! They don't rattle so much on a straight retrieve, but when you pop them free of the grass that gives them that extra noise factor... and I have seen a many of strikes come right when you pop them free of the grass too...