inline spinnerbait?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
smallmouth420
Angler
Angler

inline spinnerbait?

Post by smallmouth420 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 am

i fish inline spinners when the bite is tough and im fishing the gin clear natural lakes in my area. my biggest problem is line twist. what is the best way to prevent this and ounce it occurs is there any way to get it out of the line? also id like any info on alternatives to this bait (swimming a grub etc.). i dont have any experiences with under spin jig heads. how are these fished and what are the best trailers? thanks for any help.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: inline spinnerbait?

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:46 pm

Line twist: What kind of reel do you use, spinning or baitcasting? Baitcasting may have less twist. Low-stretch mono like Stren Magnathin will lower twist, as will a bigger spinning reel (bigger spool), closing the bail by hand will help too.

More tips:

- Try a swivel

- in-line spinner baits with an offset line tie.

- if you fish out of a boat, take the lure off, and let your line out behind the boat while moving, then reel it all back in... it will take a lot of the twist out.

- before you make your next cast, let the lure dangle from the rod tip for a few seconds and let it untwist the line.

What kind of fish are you targeting? Maybe I can recommend some spinnerbaits.

sofinesse
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sofinesse » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:13 am

+1 on the comment above
Typically i will tie a barrel swivel about a foot up the line as opposed to a snap swivel because a snap tends to kill the action although there is a in-line spinner that comes with a barrel swivel. Built onto the spinner itself, i beliee its made by luhr jensen not sure i'll check whrn im home rarely ran into line twist with it. I fish inlines on spinning gear so closing the bail helps as well as casting out running the line between your fingers the letting the lure spin until it stops helps get the twists out.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:36 am

haven't used one in years, but we used to like to use the Panther Martins for Smallmouth at one of our desert lakes. One of the local pros back in the day was tired of buying exspensive Panthers and came up with a bit of a modification that worked well...

note the bend in the shaft (creates a keel effect and reduces twist) and the inline barrel swivel on the spinner...

smallmouth420
Angler
Angler

Post by smallmouth420 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:21 am

Thanks for the info. im targeting smallmouths. do you use a dressed hook or plain treble? what color/size blade and feather do you use? what size swivel? i live in ma. i dont know if anyone's familiar with the ponds on cape cod but these are the bodies of water im fishing.

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:51 pm

I use a #3 or 4 plain Mepps with Fireline on a spinning reel for smallies on a regular basis and rarely have any issues with line twist. I don't use a swivel, just a snap which has no negative effect on the action. If the spinner is working properly, it does not spin and twist your line any more than any other bait. The blade is supposed to spin, not the entire lure. I find the plain Mepps catch just as many bass, they are cheaper and hold on to less weeds than the squirrel tail versions.

Someone needs to explain how closing the bail by hand reduces line twist. It may reduce the loops that form on the spool if you start reeling while there is some slack line near the reel, but how does it reduce twist?

smallmouth420
Angler
Angler

Post by smallmouth420 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:46 am

just to let you know i always close my bail with my hand. im not getting loops that end up coiling off my reel. they are tight twists in the line caused by the bait. ive been using bluefox vibrax.

Dale Meddock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dale Meddock » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Line twist is a big problem no matter what reel you use.

But if you will use braided line, no more line twist.
i like like Prower Pro, in lighter weights. 30 lbs test if I am in cover or grass.

Put on a 6 foot mono leader if the water is ultra clear
Maddoglures

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:32 pm

You could also try a 1/8 or 1/4 oz scrounger head with a 3" or 4" plastic like a zoom tiny fluke,keiteck 3" swing impact, or gambler flapp'n shad.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Rooster Tails and a quality swivel.....

vishus- I didn't know anyone still knew what a Yellow Jacket was!! You beat me to the punch there.... Did you ever read the article he had published about those? It was interesting... He suggested using a line conditioner long before todays Pro's started pushing it....