Jigs and Topwaters

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Jigs and Topwaters

Post by joeim8 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 am

Hello all,

Anyone else out there use there Frog setup for flipping jigs as well?

I was hoping to create a set up that can be used for .....frogs,Flippin Jigs and spooks/chugs.

I went with a Croix LX MHfast 7foot rod and a core 6.2:1 reel now I am trying to figure out what kind and what pound test braid will best accomodate them all with out sacrificing too much.

I live in Ohio which is why I did not opt for the Heavy action rod even though it may have been better suited for Frog fishing even in ohio it would have limited me a little on options.

Any info is appreciated.

I really just don't know what pound test braid I should spool up with that will also be ok when tying a 15-20# fluro leader to it for flipping.

Thanks

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jigs and Topwaters

Post by ppFishing » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:19 pm

For my main frog setup I use 50 lbs braid. For my backup (jigging rod) I also use 50 lbs braid. I will add the fluoro leader to my line when I am jigging. I typically add a 12 lbs leader to the braid line.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:52 pm

55lb daiwa samurai will work great.
Let's go fishing!!!

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:30 am

The St. Croix rods used to be under-rated....that is, an MH would be near an H of another brand.

I always believed that and there's been some posts agreeing; and a St. Croix factory rep admitted it to me several years ago.

But I don't know if that trend continues today, and I don't know if it holds for your LX model.