Scrounger help

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Scrounger help

Post by btune » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:18 am

Stocking up my swim jig box and plan to add several scrounger heads after watching some demo videos, great action!
My problem is too many choices so I need some help form some of you that have used them.
1. Which brand or do the all work about the same?
2. What length plastic flapper (?) for general use with mid weight (1/4 - 3/8) and depth 0-10 feet.
3. They come in many weights I am guessing the 1/4 oz. will be a good starting point?

Also it was mentioned on an Aaron Martens video to trim a fluke for better action. I am not sure where/what to trim? Other than Fluke and small swim baits any must use trailers?

mrbassky1
Angler
Angler

Re: Scrounger help

Post by mrbassky1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 am

I am no Scrounger expert but I have read alot on them and I have caught a few fish on them.

First off Davis Baits makes the best Scrounger head IMO. The LuckEStrike ones have a bill that is too flimsy.

From what I read Aaron Martens trims his fluke so it is perfectly round/smoothe so he likely trims the corners.
This is a quote from him. Aaron Martens Swim Jig Tip: To get better swimming action from your Swim Jig, take a pair of scissors to the body of the Tiny Fluke or Fluke and round out the edges along the back of the bait. This will make the lure swim better and move more naturally.

-Aaron Martens

And as far as size Aaron Martens said he mostly uses the 1/4oz and the sizes close to that.

And on trailers anything will work but its hard to beat a fluke. I have tried larger super flukes and skinny dippers but I dont seem to get a very good hookup ratio with them. I catch as many fish and get good hookups with a tiny fluke or fluke. I havent tried the little dipper but it might be a good option.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks that helps a lot! I saw the quote from Aaron but still not sure what to trim seem pretty rounded to me? I like Flukes anyway so that is an easy choice.

BASSPUNK
Angler
Angler

Post by BASSPUNK » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:23 pm

originally last year had I sizes 3/16 and 1/8 and was not super impressed. I came across the 1/4 long bill size wiht 3/0 hooks and the difference was night and day! I plan on really putting some time in on the water with these, the shake and shimmy on the 1/4 is prefect and easy to work at any depth of the water column. One thing I like about these scrounger style baits is that they have a similar movement and give off a vibration like a chatterbait but are more subtle with the bill being clear and plastic. The simple soft jerk bait trailers on these rigs also seem much more realistic then skirts on chatter baits as well. The Gulp 4" and 5" minnows pair with these very well. I have been using the ones from luck E strike

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Kolbinsky J&S Jig Head, TW has them
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... -AMSH.html

and of course the Aaron martens scrounger by Davis bait co.