Jig type?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jig type?

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:09 pm

What type of jig do you use for fishing fallen trees in 10-15 ft of water?

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jig type?

Post by ppFishing » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:15 pm

Micropterus salmoides wrote:What type of jig do you use for fishing fallen trees in 10-15 ft of water?
I'd start with a swimming jig and then as I get closer I'd switch over to a flipping jig that way I get to use all the jigs :big grin:

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:36 am

as pp said, i also start w/ a swim jig first to try to bang into the trunk and branches to get a reaction strike then i move in closer and flip a brush jig slower and more deliberitely

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 pm

Definately start with a swim jig and swim it through all the depths to see if the bass are aggressive and what level they are on and then move closer and pick them apart with flipping/pitching.

Another method to try is to cast a square bill or shallow diving crankbait through/around them.

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:03 pm

I guess I need to clarify. Maybe fallen (trees) wasn't the appropriate word. They are not trees that have fallen down into the water - aka laydowns - and you can follow the trunk from shore as it goes into the water. They are trees that are completely submerged lying on their side in 10-15 ft of water. I found them on my sonar as well as dragging a jig.

The swimming jig and arky jig approach would work, but the trees are too deep for a shallow diving crankbait.

Dale Meddock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dale Meddock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:40 pm

I cut my teeth fishing laydown trees 50 years ago.
This is where a lot of fish gather to hide inside the branches or sit down under the biggest trunk section.

I use to us a jig, but now I have to admit, I use mostly texas rigged plastic baits now.

The pointed head on the new punch weights, just come through the branches better.

I have no problem, swimming a Jig or Spinnerbait or Crankbait through the branches. You will have to go into the branches if you want the biggest fish.
Maddoglures

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:28 am

Micropterus salmoides wrote:I guess I need to clarify. Maybe fallen (trees) wasn't the appropriate word. They are not trees that have fallen down into the water - aka laydowns - and you can follow the trunk from shore as it goes into the water. They are trees that are completely submerged lying on their side in 10-15 ft of water. I found them on my sonar as well as dragging a jig.

The swimming jig and arky jig approach would work, but the trees are too deep for a shallow diving crankbait.
I think all the techniques already given will still work fine. If u wanna get a crank down there just get a deeper diving one. U will have to make better casts is all. They payoff is sitting in there waiting for u. :D

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Banana shaped jig head--for example Oldham's trailer hitch jigs.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:35 am

Flipping jig or texas rigged plastic. Weightless Senko or Fluke will also work if the fish are suspended.