Spinnerbait Retrieve Styles?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Feedingseagulls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spinnerbait Retrieve Styles?

Post by Feedingseagulls » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 am

This topic arose on the UK LAS Forum recently and I thought it would be interesting to ask the large number of folks using spinnerbaits over here...

What types of retrieve do you like to use for spinnerbaits? (Addenda of: Where? Why? etc.)

BlueWaterAngler
Angler
Angler

Re: Spinnerbait Retrieve Styles?

Post by BlueWaterAngler » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:42 am

Early spring i like to burn in brighter colored spinnerbaits in the darker river waters, Smallies cant resist it and neither can the Pike. As the water gets clearer i like a moderate speed just above the bottom, typically you can catch anything from Largemouths to Walleye on them doing that. As the water gets cooler in the fall i slow down if the water has a slight stain, if it's clear i like to burn it in and drive the pike nuts.

In the smaller lakes for Largies i like the same speed basically all year, nice moderate speed, but as they get more finicky i like to bump hard cover to trigger the strikes.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:15 am

I don't have any real style, just mayhem or out of the blue trick up my sleeve. I will sometimes, drag them along the bottom and then rip them up and then let them fall back down. Then maybe jig them along. Sometimes I pump the rod, sometimes I high stick to wake them. Sometimes I wake them just to break the surface. Sometimes bump it over grass or bottom knock it slightly. Sometimes bump them into structure, hopefully not hanging up on it.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:27 am

It depends.....on time of morning/day

Mostly slow retrieve and jigging style retrieve. Somehow the bass here loves it when it flutters. They hit it hard! :big grin:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!