Single Willow?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Single Willow?

Post by Bob Ellis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:46 am

I came into possession of some single willow bladed spinnerbaits. How are these normally fished or what are they typically used for?

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Single Willow?

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 am

It depends. The 3/8 to 1/2 oz are good summer spinner for burning (really fast) and ripping with periods of pause to let it sink.
The 3/4 and 1oz are great for winter when you need to slow roll the spinner.

Dale Meddock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dale Meddock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Put on a Hot Chartreuse Skirt and throw them in the heavy cover or Tullies.
Just slow roll them for Pre Spawn bass.
Maddoglures

MikeLT
Angler
Angler

Post by MikeLT » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:25 am

Dale made some good sugestions. If they are the type that has a huge single willow similar the "old School" Blue fox Roland Martin series spinnerbait's try pulling them up just under the surface along those same kinds of structure so they throw up a big wake and the blade occasionally breaks the surface, it can be a pretty effective presentation for post spawners and summer fish as well.

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:17 am

I think I am going to try them right out of the gate when our season opens (end of May!). I am of the school of mind that likes to try show fish something they don't normally see.

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am

I love to throw them in heavy cover and dingy water. I always slow roll them, or wake them up on the surface. When the bite gets tough these will produce.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:05 am

I've modified 1/4 and 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits over the years by cutting the wire and closing the wire gap to make a small compact limit getter, I usually stick a 3.5 size small willow to complete the package and fish it in clear shallow weedy water in the spring.

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:11 am

These are 3/8oz Strike King Premier that were modified in the same way. The blades are 4.5s which is the size they come with. Almost like the smaller colorado blade and a portion of the wire were 'edited' out. Seems like a big blade for a burner but I might try slow rollings and bottom bouncing them.

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 am

Bob -

Slow roll those things over the flats in September and early October and you're going to get hurt :) Soon as the cabbage and coontail start to die back a little bit a single spin willow can be awesome.