when to throw swim jigs?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

when to throw swim jigs?

Post by joejoe83 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 am

ive been on a swim jig kick lately but ony have luck throwing them in the summer.
when does everyone else throw them?

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: when to throw swim jigs?

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:20 am

ive had success spring summer and fall mostly around weeds. I fish a lot of rocky resevoirs and i do well barely swimming the jig on the bottom through the sand grass. if im fishing shallower water i like bluegill colors and deeper i fish shad colors. if im fishing for smallies which is 80% of the time and i see that their feeding on perch, i'' throw a perch color which i make w/ a black top gp half wire sides and a white bottom w/ chartruese and orange to imitate the peck and anal fins. good luck :idea:

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 am

Anytime the fish are shallow and relating to weeds. This is one of my favorite baits, I have done really well on them for the last few years fishing behind guys throwing spinnerbaits.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:09 am

I also had some luck last year trolling along the weed line.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:09 am

I bought a bunch over the winter thinking they'd be a great bait to throw when the spinnerbait isn't getting them to commit. Yesterday was one of those days. I tried two different swim jigs yesterday one with a curly tail and one with a swimbait trailer. Neither of them worked. I eventually decided to fish a regular jig with a Smallie Beaver trailer. I was striking out with that too until, after a long cast, I decided to swim it back. I managed to salvage the trip by catching a few fish using that technique. I've caught tons of fish swimming regular jigs with actionless trailers but still haven't caught anything on swim jigs. :(

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:22 am

Imavol wrote:Anytime the fish are shallow and relating to weeds. This is one of my favorite baits, I have done really well on them for the last few years fishing behind guys throwing spinnerbaits.
This is the ticket right here.

I fish the swimjig whenever and werever i fish the spinnerbait. I will fish spot with the spinner bait first, then make another pass with the swimjig.

For the swimjig i only use twin tails. U need a more subtle action cause u are giving it a bunch of action already just swimming back to the boat. When u use big flipping trailer it just looks too goddy to the fish and they wont react.

Subtle is the rule with swimjigs for me. Small skirts and small trailers. ;)

fishbum
Angler
Angler

Post by fishbum » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:21 am

spring, summer, fall. I have a swim jig tied on a rod almost every time I'm on the water. Great searching bait in open water w/weeds, under and around docks and especially in pads and around weeds that pop out of the water (bullrush, cat tails/reeds, etc.).

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:28 am

great questions.. also whats the best swim jigs you gusy can suggest? I'm going to try this technique out a lot this season.
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:31 am

I really like the Omega's, did not like the Booyah's or the strike kings. I also bought some heads from Boss and made my own that work well.

fishbum
Angler
Angler

Post by fishbum » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:13 am

PM DUZBASS. He makes great swim jigs, and will do custom colors both paint and skirt.

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:47 am

fishbum wrote:PM DUZBASS. He makes great swim jigs, and will do custom colors both paint and skirt.

here are a few swim jigs that DUZ tied for me. the bottom 2 are a bluegill pattern and the pic dosent do them justice. He does awesome work! I would reccomend him to anyone.

duz swim jigs.jpg
duz swim jigs.jpg (56.45 KiB) Viewed 8547 times

Also, what does eveyone use as a trailor?

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:29 am

i go Japanese style with a paddle tail trailer
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Reaction ... #multiview

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm

pretty nice baits i personally think the white ones should have white weed guards

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 am

NJ Jigman wrote:pretty nice baits i personally think the white ones should have white weed guards
He asked for black :roll:

and they dont make white guards, only clearish
joejoe83 wrote:
fishbum wrote:PM DUZBASS. He makes great swim jigs, and will do custom colors both paint and skirt.

here are a few swim jigs that DUZ tied for me. the bottom 2 are a bluegill pattern and the pic dosent do them justice. He does awesome work! I would reccomend him to anyone.

duz swim jigs.jpg

Also, what does eveyone use as a trailor?
thanks for the kind words guys! :big grin:
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:29 am

I remember when I started to fish with a jig for bass I thought that swimming it back was the only way to fish them. Little did I know that it was its own separate technique.

I have had lots of luck in the past few years with bass dozer swim jigs, 99 cent hardware store specials, and northland jigs.

I really like green and white or green and chartruse jigs with a double tail grub. That combo is deadly anywhere you find frogs.