when to throw swim jigs?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
EDWARD
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: when to throw swim jigs?

Post by EDWARD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 am

With so many baits to throw, my favorite time is spring for swiming a jig. Heres one of my best jigs that produce for me during the spring. Image

vuehouaxiong
Angler
Angler

Post by vuehouaxiong » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:16 am

what about this fin tech title shot jig head as a swim bait design.
looks like it would make the lure swim pretty horizontaly.of course you gotta tie on a skirt.i tried it with a punch skirt,it looks good but havent tried it out yet

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 am

These are the real deal, northern style. There are also informative links on the following web site.

http://www.brovarneybaits.com/
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:10 am

I'll add that I like to throw swim jigs starting in late spring when the emergent weeds are just beginning to fill in, and on through the summer period. I typically start out with darker colors like black/blue with a junebug trailer, and as the year progresses and the baitfish get larger I move to light colors. I love throwing swim jigs!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:34 am

I throw one year round. In the fall and winter I tend to throw a translucent shad pattern or white more often in the backs of creeks and then gradually deeper like bluff walls and rocky banks as the water gets colder. I like to use a 4" yamamoto single or double tail grub because of its smaller profile in the winter and I use thinner skirts in the winter. In the fall if they are keying on larger shad, I may put a matching 5" or 6" hula grub on the back to bulk up my presentation and tie thicker skirts. I think this looks like a large shad when I do that. I've seen 14-16" bass feeding on 5-6" shad and last year on the river I saw 3-4lb spots feeding on shad that were in the 12-13" range. I know because I hooked two shad on the crankbait I was throwing and one was over 12" and the other was pushing 14". This spring in a tournament I hooked one of the largest shad I've ever seen and it was over 14". Next cast, I caught a 4lb spot. I have no doubt she was feeding on those large shad.

In the spring/summer I like more sunfish and craw pattern with some red in them in the spring and gold/orange in the summer to match sunfish. I swim more in the grass and wood cover in the spring/summer. When the bream go on bed, the swim jig can be deadly. I will put a skinny dipper, soft swimbait or a zoom magnum speed worm tail on the back of my jig in order to move a lot of water.

Late summer, I am primarily swimming around heavy grass. I upsize the jig, use heavy wire hooks, 5-6" double tail and I am mostly swimming early morning in the grass.

One other pattern that I will use in mid summer time is on ledges and deep water points, I will swim hula grub on the back of a 5/8oz promega structure jig. I vary the swimming technique with stroking and it has been really good to me. I think the hula grub increased the bulk of the bait and moves more water down deep.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:59 pm

I will throw a swim jig year round as well. I will throw them before a spinner bait and I will throw them anywhere and anytime. I have yet to find a time of the year that they don't produce.

SJ

BlueWaterAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by BlueWaterAngler » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:29 am

Late spring/early summer in heavy weedclumps is basically money for Smallies in the Great Lakes region. I always seem to do better along weedclumps adjacent to other cover as well (seawalls, docks, rip-rap). Largies around here seem to like them more in mid to late summer.

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 am

I was throwing one today and caught the biggest bass of my life, was 7-8lbs. It was a dirty jigs alabama bream finesse swim jig with a zoom super fluke jr trailer. Besides being awesome I thought it was rather funny because there had been a lot of talk about the new dirty california swim jigs and I caught a monster on the little finesse swim jig, didn't even bend the little hook. Did break the tip on my powell 733c though, kind of a bummer but I'll take it for a fish like that.