Why the love for WAR EAGLE spinnerbaits?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Why the love for WAR EAGLE spinnerbaits?

Post by Madbasser » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:44 am

I love the copper blades in clear water. What other manufacture uses copper plated blades?
They always work too. Reel them fast or slow they run true and the blades are always working.
Good quality control. The plating eliminates the drips and over-spray u get on other brands.
The hooks are sharp and the obvious hand tied skirt.
There is not much to a spinnerbait but what is there is done with care and precision at War Eagle.
They also have a huge variety of colors and blade combos available. If u like building ur own this may not help u, but i just like going and picking exactly what i want, and they have it.

Oh and they catch fish!!! :big grin: :big grin:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:11 pm

I've been on a search for the perfect spinnerbait myself, and always heard about War Eagles. I have tried the Persuader, River2Sea, Ganns spinnerbaits, and many other brands as well. I just didn't catch that many fish with the R2Sea, and the Gann's spinnerbaits looked very promising, I wasn't to crazy about the blades, the wire was a little weak and warped while I was fishing them. I just bought a few War Eagles recently and will be giving them a try soon. They were a good price, and seem like they are designed well.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Mark Hiser
Angler
Angler

Post by Mark Hiser » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Zodiak311, sorry about your bad experience with my baits. Could you or would you tell me what size bait you were were having the wire warping issues with? There was a short time when I put out a few baits with a smaller diameter wire frame, which would certainly bend easier than the current frame being used. Just wondering. As to the blades, they aren't for everyone, but I have never received a complaint about them not spinning or being inferior in any way.

Good luck with the War Eagle's, they build a very nice bait.

Good fishin to ya.

Mark Hiser
Ganns Performance Tackle
Sponsored by and representing:
Ganns Performance Tackle, Dobyns Rods, Costa Del Mar, Sunline

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Mark Hiser wrote:Zodiak311, sorry about your bad experience with my baits. Could you or would you tell me what size bait you were were having the wire warping issues with? There was a short time when I put out a few baits with a smaller diameter wire frame, which would certainly bend easier than the current frame being used. Just wondering. As to the blades, they aren't for everyone, but I have never received a complaint about them not spinning or being inferior in any way.

Good luck with the War Eagle's, they build a very nice bait.

Good fishin to ya.

Mark Hiser
Ganns Performance Tackle
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. It was either a 3/8 or 1/2 oz Stiletto-Spinnerbait, and it bent on the wire between the lead head and the first bend of the wire, that does not have the blades on it. The modified Indiana blade was what really drew me to the bait, but I noticed that after throwing it about a dozen times the edge got nicked a little, not sure where this came from. So its not that the blades were bad or anything. Frankly, Gann's jigs are my favorite, (others on these forums would tell you the same) so I had set a high bar for the spinnerbaits as well. Maybe I just got a bad one? When did you put out the Spinnerbaits with the thinner wire?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Mark Hiser
Angler
Angler

Post by Mark Hiser » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:45 am

Zodiak311, sorry for the long delay....... I sent you a PM.

Mark
Sponsored by and representing:
Ganns Performance Tackle, Dobyns Rods, Costa Del Mar, Sunline

mrbassky1
Angler
Angler

Post by mrbassky1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 am

My favorites are War Eagle, SOB lure mini me, and Hilberdant which looks like a War Eagle.

There a couple things that I prefer about War Eagle
-They last, the heads don't get the paint knocked off and the components dont rust or fail
-hand tied skirts
-they had the perfect skirt before strike king ripped it off and theirs is not too bulky its cut just right
-great color selection
-widely available

The downside is you cant change the skirts so I don't want all War Eagle for every bait but if its a blade, weight, skirt combination I really like I prefer a War Eagle.

vuehouaxiong
Angler
Angler

Post by vuehouaxiong » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:08 am

war eagle is the big talk everywhere.i just wanna know.what about gandermountain jewel spinnerbaits.do they compair to war eagles.seems like they look to catch a lot of fishes as well.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 am

Hmm, they catch fish!!! :shock:

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:05 am

bladerunner wrote:I am NOT a spinnerbait afficianado... War Eagle spinnerbaits get mentioned EVERYWHERE on here. Can someone please explain in detail what it is about these that have people raving? (Besides being made in the USA). Whats the deal - is there another brand of spinnerbaits that gets this much love? If so what? :-k
They've been catching fish since the mid to late 90's in the southeast portion of the country, mabye before then. They were one of the first hand tied, compact profile baits I saw although I'm sure there were others but most folks didn't talk about them. The bullet head design allows them to come through weeds and cover very well and right themselves quickly. I believe they still use piano wire and the copper blades they use work well in dirty water or tannic water river systems for me. They have very good hooks and usually do not need tuning out of the package. I know most spinnerbaits don't now, but 10-15 years back it seemed like I had to tune most every bait I opened except them and most baits did not have very good hooks on them. Downside is the piano wire will break. If you catch several above average fish on one and have to keep tuning, you might want to tie on another one.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:14 am

I ordered a couple of the Trokar style War Eagles yesterday. I noticed on the Tackle Warehouse feedback that a guy complained that these Trokars do not have the normal hand-tied skirts. I'm banking on the overall reputation of War Eagle and I must confess that I like the closed loop tie up here in toothy critter country. I often use ultra thin homemade 7-strand leaders, and it's nice to have that closed loop on spinnerbaits.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)