Jig Storage... Plano or FTO Jig box...or?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jig Storage... Plano or FTO Jig box...or?

Post by 78Staff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 pm

I can't make up my mind... Have an all FTO system, so really would like to use the Jig box, but seems like every time I pull it out of the bag jigs are all over the place. I'm tempted to move them to a generic FTO box with strait dividers like a good old plano... At least then I know all my black/blues will be together...

Anybody else found a better solution?

tehtuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Jig Storage... Plano or FTO Jig box...or?

Post by tehtuna » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:35 pm

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Hmm...now that is something I hadn't thought of... I have a few tackle logic binders I tried a while back for soft baits, but never really warmed up to them because they would never be "flat", ie with plastics they would bulge and it was hard to pack them effectively... But for jigs I might could work that out...Will give it a try. Thanks!

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm not a fan of binders. I used them for years for spinnerbaits, jigs, soft plastics bags, but they weren't efficient for me and the ziplock bags often split at the seams over time. I decided not to get the Falcon FTO Jig box. I read about jigs not fitting properly, falling loose, and that it sometimes takes time to fit them in.

I use a Falcon FTO 302 Universal Organizer which I divide into 20 compartments, each capable of holding 3-4 jigs. It measures roughly 12"x8"x1.25". I like the easy access and with such small compartments the jigs stay tidy. Unfortunately the clear Falcon FTO line was eventually discontinued after Plano acquired the rights. Some models can still be found at TW and I'm sure elsewhere, but certain models, like the FTO 302 I have not been able to locate. Too bad. I really like the original Falcon FTOs. The newer red Plano FTOs, not so much.

Falcon FTO 302

The closest utility boxes that I've seen to the FTO 302 are the Plano Pro Latch 3601, 3620, and 3701 Utility Boxes.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 pm

I have mine in a Plano box. I guess I like any plastic box with a lid. reason being after a day of fishing I can leave my jig box open in the basement to dry out thoroughly. I never liked binders either with plastic bag type enclosures.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:56 am

I think I have one or two 302's and that is the way I was leaning when I posted... may try the binder also. I am same as you they just didn't work for me, which is why I have 3 or 4 empty ones in my spare stuff bag... I was trying to use for spinnerbaits and soft baits... soft baits def did not work as I noted earlier, sb's was OK but the FTO box won that battle...

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:47 am

i'd go with something other than the FTO Box for jigs. they will not hold 3/4oz and up jigs or 3/16 oz finnesse jigs. football jigs don't work well with the fto system and swim jigs did not either. if you had arkie heads or ball heads in 5/16-1/2oz and sometime 3/4oz they would fit but i had trouble with all else.

i use the heavy duty plano boxes with 4 latches and rust proof strips. they are expensive, but solid and have held up well and are also water proof i believe.

i use the FTO for terminal tackle, lipless baits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, medium crankbaits but the jig system just doesn't work for me.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:04 am

Plano box. Sometimes I get caught in the rain and when I get home I line up my Plano box's open the lids and dry'um out.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 am

An excellent thread...

The FTO jig box is terrible..I could never get jigs to stay in their slots.

.I tried to sell mine for $4 at a recent flea market, but no takers...maybe next time, I will put some used jigs into to it as a selling point.

The FTO box with the square dividers is okay. Haven't used it muhc though, and I'm wondering about how it will work with storing a jig and its trailer.

On the Plano boxes, I prefer the Custom Divider model 3670...it's a step better quality than the standard model 3600...currently $5.79 at TW, but $8 at Bass Pro. Here's a photo:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_Cu ... D3670.html

There' also the Model 3770 with the same type of dividers.

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Micropterus salmoides wrote:I'm not a fan of binders. I used them for years for spinnerbaits, jigs, soft plastics bags, but they weren't efficient for me and the ziplock bags often split at the seams over time. I decided not to get the Falcon FTO Jig box. I read about jigs not fitting properly, falling loose, and that it sometimes takes time to fit them in.

I use a Falcon FTO 302 Universal Organizer which I divide into 20 compartments, each capable of holding 3-4 jigs. It measures roughly 12"x8"x1.25". I like the easy access and with such small compartments the jigs stay tidy. Unfortunately the clear Falcon FTO line was eventually discontinued after Plano acquired the rights. Some models can still be found at TW and I'm sure elsewhere, but certain models, like the FTO 302 I have not been able to locate. Too bad. I really like the original Falcon FTOs. The newer red Plano FTOs, not so much.

Falcon FTO 302

The closest utility boxes that I've seen to the FTO 302 are the Plano Pro Latch 3601, 3620, and 3701 Utility Boxes.
X2, excellent for jigs. The FTO jig box is terrible.

SJ

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Yes, I have an FTO jig box and its been collecting dust since I've gotten it lol. I use a regular Plano box with dividers for my jigs.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah I was stupid twice, also got the 4xx smaller version, not sure why. Maybe I thought at the time it would hold the smaller jigs... I just don't recall. Anyway leaning towards the generic divider box for now.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:54 am

I am a big fan of the 3701 for smaller, finesse jigs. As a non-boater, these boxes help save room in my bag.