Chipped paint on jig heads

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chipped paint on jig heads

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:23 am

I really dont worry about it too much as its ment to be banging the bottom or under docks etc... Pretty sure the fish dont care either...
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

enjoisht
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by enjoisht » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:31 am

I am one of those "trusty rusty" types of people. All my best offshore ocean tackle is beat to crap and I feel that the more beat they are the better they work (with exceptions)! But with that said, you can buy plasti-dip by the can (not the spray can). And literally just dip the jig heads in it for a quick fix thats pretty easy to do and durable. Sharpie, in my opinion does not work. It comes off within a a few hours of using it. Plasti dip its pretty durable and you can change head colors if you choose.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:29 am

enjoisht wrote:I am one of those "trusty rusty" types of people. All my best offshore ocean tackle is beat to crap and I feel that the more beat they are the better they work (with exceptions)! But with that said, you can buy plasti-dip by the can (not the spray can). And literally just dip the jig heads in it for a quick fix thats pretty easy to do and durable. Sharpie, in my opinion does not work. It comes off within a a few hours of using it. Plasti dip its pretty durable and you can change head colors if you choose.
Does Plastidip effect sensativity?

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:47 pm

njbasscat wrote:
enjoisht wrote:I am one of those "trusty rusty" types of people. All my best offshore ocean tackle is beat to crap and I feel that the more beat they are the better they work (with exceptions)! But with that said, you can buy plasti-dip by the can (not the spray can). And literally just dip the jig heads in it for a quick fix thats pretty easy to do and durable. Sharpie, in my opinion does not work. It comes off within a a few hours of using it. Plasti dip its pretty durable and you can change head colors if you choose.
Does Plastidip effect sensativity?
Yes, negatively, and it will also add bouyancy .
The reason I choose Flexcoat to coat jig heads ( if/when i care) is that it can be applied thin and it is hard ( for sensitivity) but flexible enough to withstand rocks .

Dangerfield
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Dangerfield » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 am

MRQturbo wrote:give dirty jigs a try...paint finish is very durable...i fish a very rocky lake and have had no issues with them compared to other jigs i used to use that would fall apart after a days usage.....
I own several Dirty Jigs - Tour Level Pitch, California Swim Jigs, reg Swim Jigs, Finesse Swim Jigs and Matt Allen jigheads and I honestly beg to differ. They are top quality jigs, beautiful colours, exceptional skirts and those hooks \:D/ especially the NO JACK - oooo wee. I've jacked northerns, smallies and largies on all of them. While the paint jobs are some of the best, the paint does not hold up and I've got pics to prove it. TL Pitch had it's painted removed after 5 casts of dragging bottom, and the 1/2 oz swim jig was a different story, it legit cracked from drag n' pop approach and gradually flaked off in big chunks. They are awesome jigs but no different than any other manufacturer. They all flake, chip, crack overtime but I don't think the fish care, so I don't. But I didn't want others to assume they were in destructible.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:08 am

I carry black and brown sharpies with me on the boat and quickly touch up chipped paint

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:58 am

vinnieb729 wrote:Devcon 2 ton epoxy is about as durable a coat you'll find. Clear, waterproof, hard.
^^^Exactly this^^^ Use it when the jig is new and its virtually indestructible.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.