Bass Pro Shops combo question

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
sean
Angler
Angler

Bass Pro Shops combo question

Post by sean » Thu May 18, 2006 4:43 pm

Hey guys,
For fathers day pro shops is selling a combo of a pflueger president and a BPS extreme for $169.94. My question isnt about the president because i know its a good reel, the question however is about the rod. Has anyone tried this rod before? Its a 100 dollar rod and they are basically selling it for 30 bucks. Supposedly it has 60 million modulus powerwall graphite, carbon cloth wrap, and fuji guides. Have you guys ever tried these...I guess woo daves helped create some of them. The weird thing about the deal is that you cant be very picky about your choices on rods. It only goes by 6'-7'6" M, MH, H...you dont know anything about fast, extra fast, or about what the butt design looks like. Is this rod legit???? Let me know what you think I might have to get one for my dad (and maybe one for myself haha). Any input you have would be great. Thanks!
Sean
PS: the rod and reel bought seperately would be $239.94

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bass Pro Shops combo question

Post by tj1004 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:49 pm

i have a 7' MH for spinnerbaits and a 7' H for carolina rigs and they are decent rods. i wouldnt buy one for full price (not b/c of bad quality but b/c i think the blank is inferior to other similarly priced rods, i.e. AllStar, Falcon, St.Croix)) but they arent bad. arent the most sensitive rods and i wouldnt use them for say a worm or jig where you need to feel every little tick (thats where my Heliums come into play) but they work for what i use them for. they also have an EXTREMELY fast action, i had a 6'6'' M that i took back and it felt like a MH or a H. hope that helps

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Thu May 18, 2006 7:07 pm

I have a 7'm and I would say that it is a fast action. I like it. Im sure you would dig it. You can feel the bottom real well and bites. I know alot of guys that use them to jig for walleyes if that tells you anything.

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:13 pm

i can also tell you that they are VERY strong. when i returned the 6'6'' M, they told me that it had to be broken for them to exchange it so i went outside and broke it over my knee, and it didnt want to break for anthing. so i took it back in and the guy smiled and gave me store credit for the rod, thats when i got the 7'H. anyhow, good luck

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri May 19, 2006 2:26 am

Sean, it is a a good combo. The President is an excellent reel. The rod is not junk. By no means is it top of the line, but it is a decent rod. Your Dad will love it.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri May 19, 2006 3:24 am

Yes its a good combo for the $$$ the reel is a very nice reel and rod is decent. I just like how BPS makes all their rods with the 60 mill or 70 mill to sound all high tech. :?
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

top water
Angler
Angler

Post by top water » Fri May 19, 2006 2:17 pm

I have a 6'6" MH action extreme that i have owned for six years and i have been very satisfied. I got it as a combo with a Curado and i now have the Plueger President on it and it is a great combo.I have fished all different types of lures on this rod and you can feel the stike easy and i can't say enough about the Plueger President.