Abu interview

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Abu interview

Post by bitesize » Wed May 17, 2006 11:06 am

I read in the abu interview that some new stuff is coming. Anyone have more info? Sounds interestintg. Oh yeah, great interview guys!

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Abu interview

Post by illini » Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 pm

If ABU really wanted to do somethng ramp up there program. They should really consider making a C series reel the size of a 2500/1500. Just imagine how many guys pass on them cause of there size im one of them. PLEASE ABU MAKE 2500 SIZE C SERIES REEL. umm did i say that out loud sorry bout that :oops:

justgopen
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by justgopen » Wed May 17, 2006 2:53 pm

Good interview. I used to see a lot of Fenwick, but now it seems the only place I see them is at the sporting good superstores like sports Authority or Oshmans...rather than any tackle shops. They are also the more value rods at sub 60 dollars. Wheres the good stuff?

spinningreel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spinningreel » Thu May 18, 2006 12:23 am

I would suggest them to put more brain in their spinning outfit, I had 4 different ABU models in the last two years and they all had some problem, sometime related to poor design, ex. why put a extra strong drag on a graphite frame reel? Why put an extra strong drag on a alluminium frame reel then support it with a plastic piece? Why build a heavy aluminium reel for saltwater use then put soft gearing for smoothness when it would not stand big tensions?

spinningreel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spinningreel » Thu May 18, 2006 1:14 am

As we are at it, I sent the handle of a 308X Gold to Pure Fishing because after a few months the knob developped a huge play, well, after four months and a few mails I had to buy the new handle.

FINNOR FREAK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by FINNOR FREAK » Thu May 18, 2006 6:32 am

Last year I said I wouldn't buy another abu spinning reel.Cheap made.
But after reading the review here about the new abu spinning reel ,I decided to try one more time.
I'm glad I did.I bought a 501.I will be buying another one.I was planning on buying antoher exceller from daiwa but the alb is built better in my opnion.They still need to tighten up on a few things like the drag knob and don't give us no stinking cheap extra spool.
I really hope this is things to come.

spinningreel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spinningreel » Thu May 18, 2006 6:38 am

My last buy was a T-Alloy 2500, a great bassing reel if it didn't weight a ton, anyhow, it's meant for saltwater (Australian market).

Well, forced a 20lbs giant catfish with it and gearing said good-bye, first time use.

I am waiting for the replacement reel, but I am not too confident about its heavy duty application. Same reel with a graphite body would make a very, very nice bassing reel OR same reel with heavy duty gearing would make a great inshore saltwater reel (may be it is already and I got a lemon..).

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Thu May 18, 2006 8:31 am

It is promising to read they have some new gear that they are excited about. I grew up on ABU 5500 C, and fenwick lunker sticks. They just seem content on trying to maintain and gain market share in the low to mid price point. With that being more low than mid. I can not help ,but wonder what a few more years of R and D would have done with the EON Pro. For that matter if they just never would have released the low end Eon's that ruined the brand name. I sure hope they come out with a new flagship reel , or a much improved Morrum.