Stay Away from Suffix Elite Line

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
MASSBASSMAN
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Stay Away from Suffix Elite Line

Post by MASSBASSMAN » Thu May 04, 2006 3:07 pm

I don't know why I decided to stray from what has worked well for me. NEVER had any problems with P-Line Xtra Strong or Maxima Chameleon. Bought a couple of new rods & reels and spooled them with 10# and 12# Suffix Elite. Today, THREE of five broke off simply while casting. Lures are too expensive for this crap, thankfully I was using floating stick baits so I was able to retrieve them. Just finished respooling with P-Line and my unused Suffix is going back to the retailer's.

BEWARE! Just imagine what would happen with a trophy Hawg on the line.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Stay Away from Suffix Elite Line

Post by frogpond11 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:11 pm

Maybe a bad spool? I have only used the Sufix Seige and I just started using it. So I haven't had the chance to really give it a good test yet. But no line should snap on the cast like that for sure...

Justin

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Why cause out of thousands of spools made per day you might have gotten a bad one? It happens in every industry. :?
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Thu May 04, 2006 4:14 pm

Whoa Pardner...please don't pull the trigger so fast!

I agree, you probably got some bum spools, but that may (and is probably not), a reflection of the manufacturer. Seriously, I've seen Bum spools from about every type of mono line! This can happen during storage and distribution if the line sits in a warehouse - or truck - where it is too hot for too long: it just eats up the plastic.

So...you might rightlfully consider taking back that line - that's what i would do - but please don't be so quick to hammer the entire brand.

Thanks.

Rojo

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Thu May 04, 2006 6:17 pm

I've been using Elite on my Alphas for some time now without incident. Sorry about your bad luck though. It only takes one bad experience however, well three in your case to get scared off by a product. Better luck next time! :D

airfob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by airfob » Thu May 04, 2006 6:28 pm

I gave Suffix a try when they started the buy 2 packs get $6.00 back a few months ago. After 3 different spools of the 10 and 12 lb Elite I went back to P Line. Suffix Elite casts very well and I never had any lures break off while casting but it was too stretchy for my taste. I kinda felt like I was fishing with a rubber band :roll:

One thing Suffix Elite does excel at...backing for my braided reels :oops:

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri May 05, 2006 4:36 am

I like the Elite and the Siege. I use the Seige (blue lable) on my baitcasters and Elite (red lable) on my spinning without incident. I have not and hope I dont have that kind of problem.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat May 06, 2006 12:10 pm

I had problems a few years ago with the Tritanium Plus. I broke off setting the hook a few times and it came off my pitching reels.

I've never messed with the newer Sufix line, but is it supposed to be like the Xtra Stong P-Line? The PLine seems to be pretty thick for the # rating.

roy smallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by roy smallie » Sun May 07, 2006 2:39 am

I have used trilene sensation for years, last year i tried the suffix elite for spinning in 6lb test and was extremely pleased with its performance....I could barely break the line when snagged, let alone breaking off any fish....It does have more stretch than some other lines but i have had no problems with line twist with the elite.....While fishing for smallies i caught a 12 lb northern on the 6 lb elite and it was no problem at all.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:27 am

I never had problems with suffix tri plus. We went after stripers and sturgeons and never had a single problem breaking off. Although I have never used suffix elite, but based on the TT review seems like a decent product. It's probably a bad batch you may miss out on a good line. :(

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Mon May 08, 2006 7:17 am

I thought I was the only one that was having problems with Sufix Elite.
I bought a spool of the Elite and broke it three times while setting the hook, after checking my line after each break I figured out that it is not very abrasion resistant. I kept cutting out nicked sections of line and retying my knots only to have more nicked sections an hour later.

I bass fish on a very rocky river shoreline and Elite gets nicked up real easy. I removed it from my reel and replaced it with Sufix Superior. No more problems.

I have used 12lb Sufix Superior for stripers for years and have never broken it on a fish. It 's thicker, harder and doesn't cast quite as far but it works for my kind of fishing. I will continue to use Sufix Superior as my line of choice for saltwater. I was looking for a more managable line for bass fishing, maybe I'll try Pline next.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 am

I thought I was the only one that was having problems with Sufix Elite.
I bought a spool of the Elite and broke it three times while setting the hook, after checking my line after each break I figured out that it is not very abrasion resistant. I kept cutting out nicked sections of line and retying my knots only to have more nicked sections an hour later.

I bass fish on a very rocky river shoreline and Elite gets nicked up real easy. I removed it from my reel and replaced it with Sufix Superior. No more problems.

I have used 12lb Sufix Superior for stripers for years and have never broken it on a fish. It 's thicker, harder and doesn't cast quite as far but it works for my kind of fishing. I will continue to use Sufix Superior as my line of choice for saltwater. I was looking for a more managable line for bass fishing, maybe I'll try Pline next.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon May 08, 2006 7:28 am

finfinder wrote:I was looking for a more managable line for bass fishing, maybe I'll try Pline next.
You might consider giving Yo-zuri Ultra Soft a try... :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker