Musky Reels

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Valleye
Angler
Angler

Musky Reels

Post by Valleye » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Hey Angling Brothers,

Always checked the reviews in Tackle Tour and didn't see the forum? #-o
Well now you guys got me and for my official first post I wanted to start by asking you what you would recommend.

I have two Shimano Catala's 300 and 400 that have given me more headaches than nice Muskies. So I am thinking of going to something new. I also have Abu 5600 C4 that I use with smaller jigs/cranks for Skis. I like this reel and am sold with the ease of use/quality for price. However I'm looking for something better and a bit bigger. So I am thinking of the new Records by Abu. If any of you Musky Hunters have a better choice in the same price range then give me your recommendations and why.

Thanks,
Peace Out :peace:

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Musky Reels

Post by TOPWATER » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:55 pm

hey valleye ,

welcome, you would have beter luck if you posted your tackle questions in the tackle forum.

Valleye
Angler
Angler

Post by Valleye » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:04 pm

You know what You're right. I was looking at the tackle forum and was wondering where my post was. D-OH!!!!!!!!!

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:16 pm

AHH!! , Its here now. :D :D :D :D

Vidar6
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vidar6 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:18 am

Valleye wrote:Hey Angling Brothers,

Always checked the reviews in Tackle Tour and didn't see the forum? #-o
Well now you guys got me and for my official first post I wanted to start by asking you what you would recommend.

I have two Shimano Catala's 300 and 400 that have given me more headaches than nice Muskies. So I am thinking of going to something new. I also have Abu 5600 C4 that I use with smaller jigs/cranks for Skis. I like this reel and am sold with the ease of use/quality for price. However I'm looking for something better and a bit bigger. So I am thinking of the new Records by Abu. If any of you Musky Hunters have a better choice in the same price range then give me your recommendations and why.

Thanks,
Peace Out :peace:
Welcom to the forum :D :D

I haven’t used the Abu Record as of yet, but I’m sure it's more than suitable for Musky fishing. However, do yourself a favour and get either the Daiwa Millionaire CV-Z or Luna reel. The Daiwa Luna should cost you just in excess of $200 and the CV-Z could be picked up on eBay for $170-190.

I’ve used 4 Daiwa Millionaire CV-Z reels for all my heavy Pike fishing (crankbaits, jerkbaits and heavy swimbaits) here in the UK over the last 3-4 years and they are still as good as the day I bought them.

The Daiwa Millionaire & Luna reels has the added benefit of sitting lower on the rod than any ABU reel, allowing for considerably more comfortable usage when palming the reel i.e jerkbaiting

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:31 am

Most of my die hard Muskie buddies keep using the standard C3 or C4 reels. They're easy and inexpensive to buy. Easy to find parts for. Cheap to keep spare parts for. Easy to work on. (which always seems to happen when you're in the middle of no where) Plus they're just a plain workhorse.

Interested to hear about the Record also though.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Valleye
Angler
Angler

Post by Valleye » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:39 am

Yeah I've thought about the Daiwa Millionaire, I love the daiwa line of baitcasters so thats another option.

Thanks all,

John Gaustad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John Gaustad » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:32 am

Valleye,

I've used the Abu. 6500C series for Musky for some 25 years with great satisfaction. I'm thinking about replacing my oldest on with a Abu Record. Mattman listed the reasons for their selection. I'm sure there are other reels out there that will do just fine but this is my experience. Perhaps the Daiwa Advantage 150H? I have one but I haven't tried it for Musky.

Good Luck!!

daleo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daleo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:13 am

Yo valleye, I bought a used Abu 5600 for just this fishing, but if I was to get into it big time, I'd probably get a Quantum Cabo PT baitcast reel. I have a few buddy's that have switched to these reels and love them. One guy is a guide for Musky/northerns only and thats all he uses now on his ST. Croix musky rod

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:36 am

I've been musky fishing with the Daiwa Millionaire CVZ, Calcutta TE, and Abu C4s and C3s. I've even had long distance casting contests with friends using the same line, rod, and lure. And the DAiwa CVZ is by far the best. Even better than the Calcutta TE's, which was surprising. Never had any problems with the CVZs even fishing in extreme weather. The Abu's I'll never buy again. Yeah, there are cheap parts available and they are easy to fix but that's because they break down a lot. There is nothing worse than a broken reel on the water. My friend was a die hard Calcutta TE guy and tried my CVZ one day. Went out and bought a Daiwa CVX (one model lower than the CVZ) and almost never uses his TE's anymore.

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:57 am

I would think the Daiwa Advantage Super Tuned HST would be a good choice and Great value. The Japan Super Tuned version is Saltwater safe with CRBBs. Even better! :)

Rob
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rob » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:42 am

Woudl Calcutta DC be able to handle these big boys?

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:25 am

Check out the Daiwa Hard Rock Fish, it's the Japan Supertuned Version of the Advantage with CRBBs and other corrosion resistant parts! :)

Valleye
Angler
Angler

Post by Valleye » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:34 am

I just picked up a New Abu Record RCN60 on ebay for $100.00. So for the time being I am gonna try her out. I already have the the 5600 C4 and have had no problems so I am assuming the same. Or hoping for no problems. I have two Shimano Catalas in 300 and 400. I will clean em up and probably sell them before I get my next reel.

Thanks for the input guys.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 am

One word about the Record. Heavy. Snidley