Kistler Review...

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Kistler Review...

Post by Hulkster » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:49 pm

for me, regarding the whole "made in the USA" versus made in China/taiwan its simply an issue of trust.

Most of the high end rods in the world (Sage, G. Loomis, St. Croix etc) are generally made in north america.

Most of the lower end rods are not.

In my head, I seem to equate "cheap labour" with "possible quality control issues".

Obviously, with stuff like Megabass, this is not always true.

But I can't help but feel that way.

And, I would gather than there are many other people that can't help but think the same way.

I don't know how many times I have heard a rod be "put down" because it was "made in China"- and this happens all the time on this board, the BFHP, Riversmallies.com etc.

It happens on all of them.

I hate to admit it, but its true.

I would be hesitant to spend $300+ dollars on a rod made in China unless it was a Megabass.

Go ahead and flame me if you want, but I KNOW I am not the only one that has that hesitation in their head.

Yes, it is not always true.

But let me ask this question:

when you have companies like St. Croix make all their high end stuff in North America, and their BOTTOM of the line stuff overseas, how can you really blame me?

Hell, its the companies that put this hesitation into my head.

it the companies themselves who are saying:

"if you want the best, buy the stuff made here. If you want the bottom of the barrel, get our stuff made in Asia"

and I wonder why I would be hesitant to spend big bucks on stuff made in Asia. I just can't help but feel uneasy about it.

And, as I have showed, simply by the way the companies advertise, its hard not to think that way.

Go ahead and flame away.

I can take it. 8-)

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:57 pm

This "made in Asia" dispute is nothing but a bunch of crap. Otherwise, we'd throw away most of our Shimano, Daiwas and Quantum reels.

Get real.

Rojo

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:03 pm

No flames from me...integrity is something I value. On the other hand, I would be *very* disappointed to learn that Yuki Ito imported his Megabass blanks from anywhere (USA included). Even to learn that MB blanks were rolled in a factory without Ito above the door would bother me. And yes, this integrity thing influences my buying decisions even more than the "price/quality/warranty" comparisons Snidley was on about. Reputation is too fragile to risk on semantic games...
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:06 pm

RojoKayako wrote:This "made in Asia" dispute is nothing but a bunch of crap. Otherwise, we'd throw away most of our Shimano, Daiwas and Quantum reels.

Get real.

Rojo
but rods are not the same as reels. We all know that some of the very best fishing reels in the world are made in Japan (high end daiwa, shimano etc).

The same cannot be said about rods (except for megabass of course).

As I said: look at St. Croix: they are blantantly telling you that their good stuff is being made in the US, and their crappier stuff is being made overseas.

Notice that its the rod companies themselves that lead us to think that way.

and it rubs off. As I said, the "made in asia rod = bad" connotation is everywhere when it comes to fishing rods.

Even from the rod makers like St. Croix

That is not to say that all asian rods are crap of course.. Look at the Shimano compres and crucials - they are a more popular and widely available rod and they are great.

But a compre is not $350 US, and thats the issue that is being hinted at in this thread:

When you are spending that kind of money (unless its a Megabass) would you feel more comfortable with a US made rod or an overseas made rod, assuming all other things equal?

Or, does it make any difference?

If it does make a difference, why? Are you concerned with quality control?

(as I have shown, for me at least, it does, since the whole "asian rod = not as good" ideology has rubbed off - and when you have the manufacturers doing it, its not hard to understand why). Even though it is probably total garbage, I can't help but think that way.

I guess that is the issue, and I really don't think there are any answers, despite what we might debate back and forth.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:09 pm

Wow, look how long this thread is now.
I have to agree. If it's made in Asia or Mexico or any place where labor is cheap, it better not cost $300+ unless the thread wraps and reel seat is made out of gold!

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:12 pm

bitesize wrote:Wow, look how long this thread is now.
I have to agree. If it's made in Asia or Mexico or any place where labor is cheap, it better not cost $300+ unless the thread wraps and reel seat is made out of gold!
okay, I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

As I said, I blame St. Croix for my hesitation! :D

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:19 pm

With that said, I also have to say that stuff made in other countries have gotten so good, it doesn't really matter anymore. If the company is saving a big chunk, let's see some of that given back to the consumer by lowering the price.

I've played with Powell rods. Excellent rods and great price too!

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:40 am

Hulkster wrote:
RojoKayako wrote:This "made in Asia" dispute is nothing but a bunch of crap. Otherwise, we'd throw away most of our Shimano, Daiwas and Quantum reels.

Get real.

Rojo
but rods are not the same as reels. We all know that some of the very best fishing reels in the world are made in Japan (high end daiwa, shimano etc).

As I said: look at St. Croix: they are blantantly telling you that their good stuff is being made in the US, and their crappier stuff is being made overseas.
Last I heard, Trey Kistler is not employed by St Croix - so whatever St Croix says about the quality of thier gear is St Croix's situation. Mr. Kistler maintains that quality is held, and so do the reviews and others who have used the rod.

Also, last I heard, Kistler just put out a rod that is lighter and more powerful than a Loomix GLX that costs $150 more. Now, knowing what a great rod Loomis makes, that fact deserves some respect. But, unfortunately, some on this forum are unable - dare I say - unwilling - to accept the fact that what they thought they knew about the quality/performance of fishing rods yesterday may have to be greatly altered from now on - and that's what it's really all about...people having some doubts about what they thought they knew about fishing tackle - especially after spending $1000's purchasing other rod brands. That's gotta' sting for those who thought that cost was everything and what they had in thier rod lockers was unrivaled.

Of course, this happens to me everytime I but a PC - something better comes out 28 Microseconds later. I get used to it. I learn to appreciate what I have.

Rojo

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:30 am

I would not agree with this statement, at least when it comes to Made in Japan and to some extent Korea rods (China is getting better by the minute).
At the EU fishing market, Daiwa and Shimano make some of the best rods with good reputation. And if it is not so obvious with short rods, take a look at the match rods or competition poles. We are talking about rods 10’- 45’+ long and costing thousands of euros. If you are not able to make the strongest, lightest and the most responsive graphite, you would not survive one minute in that market. And Daiwa and Shimano are some of the strongest players in EU rod market.
I am not aware of any US company successfully competing in that market (and it is not that our companies would not want to make some money in EU)

TNGAMBLER1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TNGAMBLER1 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:38 am

RojoKayako wrote:last I heard, Kistler just put out a rod that is lighter and more powerful than a Loomix GLX that costs $150 more.

Only the most gullible of people beleive everything they here!!

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:47 am

The fact of the matter is this, Kistler makes a great rod whereever they're built!!! Snidely's opinion doesn't count because he admittedly has never owned, used or even held one for that matter. What tngambler1 says doesn't count because he has 1, don't know which one, maybe not even a Helium, so how can he comment on the quality of the whole line? I've been using the original Heliums for over 2 years and absolutely love them. I been using my 2 new Helium II LTX's all morning and like them also. Now, they haven't withstood the test of time like the originals have but I like them so far. Temp. is 40, water temp. is 49, post front conditions with wind out of the N/NE at 15 to 20 mph. Caught fish all morning, going for a hamburger and then going back out. Will update later. By the way tngambler1, which rod do you have and how much do you want for it?? Always got room for another great stick!!!
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:31 pm

splash wrote:The fact of the matter is this, Kistler makes a great rod whereever they're built!!!
Allow me to paraphrase: "My opinion of the matter is this, Kistler assembles a great rod where ever the components are constructed!!!" For me (the universal qualifier), this is not a question of Kistler quality, warranty or price.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:59 pm

Thanks for the grammer lesson, mhood. That sounded way more eloquent!!! Hamburger was good, now back to the water.
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:05 pm

splash wrote:Thanks for the grammer lesson, mhood. That sounded way more eloquent!!! Hamburger was good, now back to the water.
No problem, we've got to watch that semantic space now... :lol:

I'm sure jealous BTW. It's 20 degrees with a single digit wind chill and sleet is coming down up here in North Central Texas. It appears to be Winter after all.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:11 pm

mhood wrote:
splash wrote:Thanks for the grammer lesson, mhood. That sounded way more eloquent!!! Hamburger was good, now back to the water.
No problem, we've got to watch that semantic space now... :lol:

I'm sure jealous BTW. It's 20 degrees with a single digit wind chill and sleet is coming down up here in North Central Texas. It appears to be Winter after all.
2o degs and ur complaining? negatives here... It's rough. :lol: