Best Tackle Bag to buy?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Tackle Bag to buy?

Post by Gideon » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:20 pm

Hi guys,

I have been using a Plano bag for both my saltwater and freshwater fishing for the last 2 years. While the bag is tough as nails it simply doesn't have that much flexibility. I read the review on the Albackore tackle bag, it looks good, maybe a little pricey... do you reccommend this as a good all round bag still? Is there something else I should look at?

Anybody know of any other tackle storage solution that is worth considering?

vanderty
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Best Tackle Bag to buy?

Post by vanderty » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:38 pm

Becuase I do mostly shore fishing or fishing from a small pond boat, I perfer to use the plano trays in a backpack. Easy to carry, lots of storage for tackle and extras, very versatile. that's my $.02.
Ty

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:22 pm

Vanderty has a great point. :idea: When you need flexibility and do a lot of different types of fishing a box modular system may be the best way to go. I fish for anything that swims...so I have a huge pile of Plano 3600 series boxes stacked up in my room. You can throw them in a backpack as Vanderty suggested or use them in conjunction with a bag like the Albackore that is made to handle these boxes. By organizing your tackle into standard sized boxes you will always have the flexibility to grab boxes quickly...whether they are stacked in the Albackore bag, or piled into a duffle or backpack.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:48 am

Well said. That's what I like to do also. Allows much more flexibility. Grab and go. And you don't have to waste money on more bags. Just get more boxes.

Bitesize

fishingirl
Angler
Angler

Post by fishingirl » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:10 pm

Bass Pro makes a lot of good bags that are cheaper then then name brands, they also have alot of nice features like expandable compartments and sunglass holders stc. not normally found on other bags.

hooked
Angler
Angler

Post by hooked » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:58 pm

Personally, I use a gloomis backpack for freshwater (trout) which works out well for me. The only drawback I can see with this tackle backpack is that when you pull out a plano tray and have heavy stuff in the top portion, the bag starts to collapse. The albakore bag has a frame built into it which is really nice. I bought my dad one for x-mas last year and he likes it alot. He tells me the only drawback to the bag is that there's no padding against your back so the frame kinda digs into you. Hope this helps.

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JIP » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:08 pm

Hooked,

Keep those comments coming on the Albackore bag and one day you might just see what you recommended. :D
I know the owner welcomes good and bad comments so he can improve the design according to what anglers want.

How come you got the Loomis bag and your dad got the Albackore? :D
JIP - TackleTour.com
http://www.tackletour.com

hooked
Angler
Angler

Post by hooked » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:33 pm

My father and I used to take the plano boxes and put them into a regular backpacks before the new "tackle backpack" designs came out. I was the first one to bite the bullet and pick up tje loomis backpack from Cabelas the first time I saw it in their catalog. The Albakore bag wasn't on the market at that time. If I recall correctly, my choices were either the loomis bag or the Anglers(???) silver bag which came out around the same time. The loomis looked durable and of better quality than the other one.

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gideon » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll have to buy one of those Albacore bags and load up on some Planos.

albackore
Angler
Angler

Post by albackore » Fri May 02, 2003 1:26 pm

Hi Gideon & all,

There are many options on the market today. One of the reasons that I designed and manufacture the Albackore tackle bag is to fit the majority of an angler's needs. The Albackore bag is the only bag on the market the ability to change configurations to best fir YOUR needs based on the target species and environment. Freshwater, Saltwater, Inshore, Surf, River, Lake, Shore, Boat.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at jeff@albackore.com or visit our website: http://albackore.com (shameless plug!) :P

Nitro
Angler
Angler

Post by Nitro » Fri May 02, 2003 4:56 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm almost 100% Bass, and from the show coverage I saw a pic of you next to what I think is the "bass king" tackle bag. Is this bag coming out soon? Will it use the same material and configuration system as the AblackoreII?

Thanx

albackore
Angler
Angler

Post by albackore » Fri May 02, 2003 8:58 pm

Hi Nitro,

The prototype of the BassKing ProAm was just a smaller version of the Albackore II without a cooler and backpack straps. Unfortunately, it did not get a lot of attention at the ICAST industry show. Fortunately, it was just a prototype and I do not have hundreds in my inventory. :) In any case, I am in the process of 2-3 totally new designs for freshwater that will become available by the 2004 season if there is enough interest.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:30 pm

Is there any new information available on these new products for 2004? I am looking forward to a tackle bag geared towards bass fishing, but with the same concept of the Albackore II.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:39 pm

For 2004, SKB has introduced the TakPak.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:31 pm

Thanks for the link. It looks a lot like the Albackore II, but doesn't seem to have as much room for tackle storage. They also don't list prices, so I can't compare there. I think I still have my eye on the Albackore II, pending any new products for 2004. Sooner or later I'm going to cave in and go on a mad internet shopping spree for the upcoming season. I can't take these dreaded winter months without fishing, but at least I can research all the new products for next year!