Sufix Performance Braid

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Sufix Performance Braid

Post by kbookert » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:47 am

According to Sufix there will be a rebate coupon "available at the retail shops and online jan 15th thrrough july 15th."
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:12 pm

Received my order of Sufix Performance Braid today. Very flashy packaging.

The line itself looks very nice. It is wound on the filler spool very well. Not as well as their Monofilaments, but pretty close. I hope to get it spooled up and tonight and do some comparisons to the Power Pro.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:09 am

All spooled up on my reels. It spooled up nicely. A few things I have noticed so far:

Comparing 30lb PP and 30lb SPB side by side.

The SPB is a darker shade of green than the PP.

This SPB line is round! PP and many others say they are "rounder", but this line is actually round.

I got out my son's science kit microscope and checked out the PP and SPB side by side. The SPB is braided a lot tighter. So I can see how they claim the SPB will be more abrasion resistant. The "pores" of the line are tighter and wont catch and fray as easy while working structure. This also is probably why Sufix claims it will cast farther and retrieve with less noise, because it is smoother.

When I tied on some lures to the line, I immediately noticed that knots are a lot easier to tie with the SPB. And I mean a lot easier. The knot slid and cinched up almost as easy as monofilaments. So I took out a swivel and I tried a few different knots, even some double knots with both the PP and SPB side by side and the SPB was real easy to work with compared to the PP. The knots are also "cleaner" looking like monofilaments. The knot tying aspect of this line is a big plus for me.

One other point I would like to make, when I had the line under the microscope, they looked to be exactly the same diameter. The PP has the shape like a 2X4 and the SPB is round like PVC pipe. So as for claims of the thinnest? Round line, has only has one diameter to measure. PP has two sides to measure, a flat side (the 2 in 2X4) and a wide side (the 4 in 2X4) so which side do you think they measured to make the claim of thinnest? :thinking: ;)

Now so far, the SPB is leading the PP. However, I know how PP performs on the water. So all these pluses for SPB will mean nothing if the SPB does not a least perform as well. So this still remains to be seen. I am still a little skeptical and cautious as I have been down this road before.

I have a lot more to things to try with this line before I declare it is better than PP, but so far it has a good start. Working it out on the water will tell me the rest of the story.

KBT

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:35 am

Dang nice review and nice about takin out the microscope there Kbookert. Well ill be curious to know how it performs against my beloved PP. :lol: once again. :clap:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:52 am

Suffix seems to be a real company on the move in mono line. I've found in the past that usually when a company produces standout product in one area they usually follow up with more quality products. Sounds like we might be on to somthing with this firm. Power Pro, although a great line that I use myself, has been pretty much the same for a long time. In the world of competition it's about time some firm came up with improved product or significantly cheaper versions of the best product available. This is the lifecycle of product. Snidley

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:53 am

great review... glad you got the microscope out too!

now, let us know how it performs on the water!

BTW, did you happen to actually measure the line diameters?

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:20 pm

Also let us know if the color comes off in powder form like PP.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:01 pm

I did not do any measurements myself. I do not have that kind of sophisticated equipment.

Bitesize, I will let you know about the color. I have a tournament tomorrow and will be using it a lot. The color fade has been on everyone's mind. So I will pay special attention to it. :-k

KBT :-k

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:32 pm

I got to check it out yesterday. I will tell you it does cast like a dream and probably farther than PP. I did not do side by side casting because I was in a tournament. But the SPB sails through the air and makes less noise coming through the guides than PP. I have not tried an abrasion test. I need to hook up an old jig head and hit the rip rap with it. I still need to give it a lot of work before I abandon PP, but its getting close.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:05 pm

Another update.

Color Fading:

I checked them today for color fading. The SPB does fade after use like PP. But unlike PP, the SPB retains a green color. However, it is lighter/brighter green.

MaineFshr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MaineFshr » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:30 pm

kbookert, great reviews. I have always felt the PP was the best, but now after your reviews i think i need to try some SPB for myself once the ice thaws. It sounds like they took the only few weak areas of PP and improved on them.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:13 pm

So far, I dont think you can go wrong with the SPB. It is starting to edge out PP. It is worth a try. I think you will like it too.

smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by smallykiller » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:27 pm

Does the SPB have a hard coating like PP? Is the SPB still quiet after broken in? Thanks

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:03 am

kbookert,

Great Review!

Thanks...and please let us know anything else you find out.

RojoKayako

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:53 pm

Rebate cupon is posted in Hot Deals:

http://www.dealtackler.com/T3Forum/viewtopic.php?t=6532