Baitcasting gear for ultralight fishing???

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
AddictedFisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Baitcasting gear for ultralight fishing???

Post by AddictedFisherman » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:18 pm

I seen a 5' 6" foot ultralight trigger rod match to a very small baitcaster at a local tackle store. This got me wondering, how well would this set up be for perch. The rod and reel look very cheap...so this got me thinking. Since I like to use baitcasting gear for most of my fishing application and only use spinning for panfish and trout. Was wondering if any company out there make a decent baitcasting reel for panfish. Or can I just match a curado 200BSF to a 6 foot ultra light trigger rod. Would this reel be to much for ultralight fishing or would a small baitcasting reel be better or worst. Or maybe I should just stick with my spinning gear. Any advice would be much appreciated.

timinaz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Baitcasting gear for ultralight fishing???

Post by timinaz » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:19 pm

I'm currently using a Curado 100b with a Falcon LFC-3-16, spooled with 6lb Yo-Zuri X-Tex Cobra. I caught a 2 lb catfish today and plan on using for trout later this month.

Tim

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:41 am

The Daiwa Pixy at 5.7 oz. would probably be the reel of choice. Paired with a St . Croix LE it would be very hard to beat although a bit pricey!

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:37 am

Bundy, do you know where I can get the Daiwa Pixy?

I want to match that up with the 6'6LS Legend Elite 2.85oz. Know any other high quality ultra light reel that would match with this as well?

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:51 am

Jinz,

Try specialtytackle.com (ask for Ed) in California or japantackle.com. SpecialtyTackle stocks the Japanese reels whereas JapanTackle.com ships from Japan.

I really like my Shimano Chronarch Magnesium reel, even though its a hefty 6.9 oz.

Jinz, did you ever get a weight on the Cape fear 6' 6" or the Kistler Helium 6' 6" casting rods?

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:30 pm

Reeno, I'm going to order the 7' MH Kister Helium soon. So I can go to a place to get it weight. I don't have an accurate weight measure that can distinguish between ounces.

But the 6'9 (1/8-3/4) Kistler Helium is about 4 oz WITHOUT modifications.

But Trey is really cool, if you don't like the butt, you can send it back and he'll cut a few inches off, not sure if that'll ruin the action but it'll make it lighter alright.

I don't own any cape fears, so I wouldn't know.

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:31 pm

Jinz,
I would also recommend Specialty Tackle. They also offer free shipping on the Pixy. Paired with the LE it would be a lightweight killer combo!

AddictedFisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AddictedFisherman » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:09 pm

I'm checking out the pixy and scorpion. The Pixy would probaly be the best for ultralight, but how about the scorpion? I don't really want to spend 300$+ for a reel that I'll probaly only use for panfish and trout(I know I'm cheap). The scorpion realy intersets me. Is it appropriate for ultralight fishing and can it handle tossing very light lures. I need a recommendation for a good rod. Like what the power should be, action, line reccommendation, lures weight recommendation, lenght, and price$$$. I dont want to spend more than 200$ on it. I know I ask a lot of questions but any help would be appreciated.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:10 pm

pixy is over $300 bucks. Dang!
Timinaz uses the curado, which is similar to the scopion.
So the scorpion should work too.

Bear
Angler
Angler

Post by Bear » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:05 am

Just to throw a new rod builder in the equasion. I use Black Diamond rods that are built on US Rainshadow blanks. Right up your alley for light tackle.

Check out the Bass Predator in cast. I use this one quite a bit.

http://www.blackdiamondrods.com/

Worth a thought.

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dazzle » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:36 pm

Those rods are made in australia right?
Do they sell them in the US?
Are you a pro-staff for them?

--Daz

Bear
Angler
Angler

Post by Bear » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:15 pm

You can buy them over the net these days. They used to be only available through stores.

They are one of my sponsors here in Australia.

They are assembled by Steve Ross who was the designer of the Bream series for Loomis in Australia.

The wonder of modern technology. Being able to buy gear from any where in the world. I get my fresh water flies from the UK.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:30 pm

THcustomrods (http://www.thcustomrods.com), a U.S.A. company in Oregon, also builds rods using the Rainshadow blanks. I own one of their excellent salmon rods and can affirm Tom & Travis Howard's skills as rod builders. They have a loyal following from members of the piscatorialpursuits.com and ifish.net fourms.