X-Fast Action Rods

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

X-Fast Action Rods

Post by Jinz000 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:30 am

Is there some kind of trick to this rod? Every time when I hook a fish, small or large i'll be able to get it in about 5-10 yards, then I lose it, btw being able to hook a fish is with this thing is worst, I dont have any problems with any rods other than the X-FAST.

Jinz000

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: X-Fast Action Rods

Post by bundy » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:40 am

What rod are you using? Is it for a specific technique ? For cranks and spinnerbaits I like a moderate action that is more forgiving. How about some more info. There are lots of different tools for specialized applications.

airrus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by airrus » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:37 pm

Hey Bundy, couldn't pass this one up. Sounds like Jinz is suffering from a bad case of "LIP RIP", created by a late set. When a fish hits a bait on a rod that stiff, the fish is aware that he is in trouble before the fisherman
get the message. As a result the fisherman ends up setting the hook as
the fish is discharging the bait. Instead of getting a deep set, you end up
out toward the lip and the fish goes away with a sore mouth and the fisherman just goes away. There is no way that I'm going to suggest that there is any particular rod company out there that has a rod that would eliminate this problem but if you know of one you might want to let Jinz know about it.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:42 pm

Bundy its the St.Croix Legend Elite 6'8 X-FAST, I was using crank baits. And only having problems with this particular rod.

Reaction Baits
Angler
Angler

Post by Reaction Baits » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:51 pm

Jinz000 - I am afraid airrus is correct. When using reaction strike lures like crankbaits and spinnerbaits it is imperative that the rod is leaning closer to the soft side. X-Fast rods are designed as worm rods or fishing jigs, like football jig/spidergrub combos. These rods will move more line when the tip is lifted versus the cranking rods. If you try a medium action rod in the 6'6" to 7' length you would have yourself a great crankbait rod without having to purchase some of those expensive fibreglass or graphite specific cranking rods from GLoomis(although, they are the cats).

I hope this helps.

Terry Skipper
http://www.reactionbaits.com

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:52 pm

Jinz,

Are your senses dull or just your hooks? You should hook up with an Airrus® co-matrix rod and Gamakatsu or Daiichi hooks.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:56 am

Maybe I'm hooking it wrong, i do get a little scared of that tip breaking, barely hooking it to the sides.etc. Or could be my senses lol.

I don't know about fiberglass rods i don't really like them.
Last edited by Jinz000 on Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:03 pm

Must be hard enough just to cast a x-fast action rod!
Since there's little flex, almost like using braided line,
probably don't want to hook set that hard. you'd probably
rip the hook right out of it's mouth or rip its mouth off! :shock:

airrus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by airrus » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:21 pm

Jinz,
You don't need fiberglass, you just need some tip. Stiffer rods like the one you are talking about lend themselves to fishing applications were the rod does not move much like flippin, so that the stiffness of the rod doesn't interfere with telegraphing the strike. In this case the fish hits a slower moving target and doesn't feel the rod resistance until it is to late.
Using a stiff rod for cranking doesn't give the fish time to commit or you time to react and you end up with the late set. You don't have to go to glass but I would suggest moving to a 6' 6" or 7' 0" MED stick.

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dazzle » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:46 am

I think the others have answered your question.
If you look at the crankbait rods made, most aren't
xfast or fast. Most are moderate in action.
And most of the time you don't even need to set the
hook. They hook themselves on the trebles.

--Daz