Capricorn 2500 problems

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
dballs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Capricorn 2500 problems

Post by dballs » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:13 pm

I have two Capricorn 2500's and they both have seized a bit. They still are fishable, but no longer smooth like when I first got them. I have had them since February and rinse them after each use. I took them both apart to look inside and they both appear to in good shape internally. They still appear to be lubed sufficiently. On one of them, the screw that attaches to the bracket that holds the pin coming down through the reel in place was loose. I tightened it, but that didn't change anything. The reels are still rough. They are slightly smoother when I reverse reel, but still aren't close to how they were when I purchased them.

Any ideas what might be wrong with both of these reels?
Any help would be appreciated.

thunnus_obesus
Angler
Angler

Re: Capricorn 2500 problems

Post by thunnus_obesus » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:06 pm

I've had the exact opposite experience with my Capricorn 1500. I've been using it for light saltwater applications here in San Diego. The beach environment is especially brutal on light spinning gear because of the salt and the fine grained sand. Usually, all it takes is one rough day at the beach for a reel to lose its silky smoothness. I've used the Capricorn about 10 times at the beach and its still as smooth as ever. I've even had the reel touch the sand two times. So I've been very impressed with the Capricorn in this regard.

Under what conditions are you using your Capricorn? If the culprit is sand, it needs to be removed, which can be somewhat difficult.

JKim
-----<><