Daiwa Light and Tough rods

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Light and Tough rods

Post by gyro » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:22 am

HI,

Just saw these rods in the local tackle shop and noticed how light they were. Did some searches and found that a couple pros use these rods including Iaconelli and Yelas.

I'd just like to know how sensitive they are and if the sensitivity compares with the IMX rods or Techna AV, which a Daiwa rep mentioned? Anyone try the casting or spinning rods?

Mo Bass Fish'n
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Light and Tough rods

Post by Mo Bass Fish'n » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:15 am

This rod is one of my all time favorites! I won't compare them to any other, but I do know fisherman that are sponsored by G.Loomis and other companies that have these in their boats. This has been a very popular rod for many years. At one point, it was discontinued and angler demand caused them to reintroduce it. I started using them a long time ago, something like 15 years. The lightness translates into sensitivity and it sure makes them easy to use all day. I really love the handles. They fit my hand perfectly!

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:47 am

I own a Daiwa L&T Worm and Jig rod. I like it a lot, it's pretty light, but I haven't noticed anything exceptional for sensitivity. I haven't caught many fish on it though - it takes a back seat to my Kistlers and Airrus rods so it doesn't get enough use.

I had it paired with my Alphas last week, and it felt good. The reel might have been a bit to small for the wide reel seat and handle though. I'd recommend it, but only after you try the Airrus Co-matrix and Ultra, and the Kistler Graphites. They seem more sensitive to me and feel better for handling. This Daiwa also has no hook keeper - :(

Mo Bass Fish'n
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mo Bass Fish'n » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:09 pm

Sure it does Zmaz! Right under the reel seat. :o That grip works perfect as a hook keeper for most any type of bait.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:50 pm

This is true. It's just tough to adjust after using Kistler's perfect hook hanger! Plus I don't like to put any blemishes in my cork handles.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:15 pm

According to a past Tackletour review of the Airrus CoMatrix, I read that the Airrus' rods were on the heavy side though. Is that true on the newer models?

fisher16
Angler
Angler

Post by fisher16 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:36 pm

I have the 7'6" Tough and light and absolutely love it, find it very sensitivie and i have no problem pitching all day. great for jigs 5/16-1 1/2, my favorite rod so far.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:10 am

The L&T Series is great for most applications in the correct size/length. I have at least one rod in each size/length, and even have a few that they never reintroduced from the original line (e.g. 6013 and 6014). I really like the low profiled reel seat and tapered lower handles--they work great with my arthritic hands. Balance, response, wight and loading are pretty good in throughout the series. However, I don't prefer the L&Ts for spinner baits or crank baits, just too much backbone for my taste. You can find better rods for a specific application, but it will usually cost you much more.

...just my opinion.
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator