Spider Wire Line

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spider Wire Line

Post by Jinz000 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:06 pm

I've heard so many break-offs with spider wire lines. One person had an 80 lb spider test ling with a surf rod, and it broke off.
I think thats the case because its NOT elastic.

Has anyone had any break-offs with spiderwire?
Also what type line should I use for my shock leader MONO??? I prefer 80-100 lb.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spider Wire Line

Post by gyro » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:02 pm

Here's a portion of an article I read evaluating Spiderwire Fusion line. They also found easy breakoff and digging in problems.

The Truth: It is a strange line, however. One that I never felt comfortable with despite using it for several years for SW applications. I did not like the way it went through my guides, I did not like the way it casted. Like most super lines, its kryptonite is rocks. General abrasion resistance for this line was more than acceptable. When I fished it around rocks, it parted with very little effort. This was a huge disappointment to me. Fusion had decent knot strength and near zero stretch. For a line that is coated it had little memory and the coating did not fray or peel off.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:17 pm

This is about Spiderwire Spiderline:

Spider Wire is a multi-spectra fiber braid that is twisted to put it all together. It is a true braided line. I do not like the fact that it is an oval braid. It is not truly round and tends to dig into the reel. Spiderline is a strong line, but it certainly is not the thinnest as the claim states. Its braiding process allows it to have near zero stretch and little memory. This line might be the most responsible for rod breaking hooksets. It is tremendously popular. This line casts well and I prefer it on baitcasting gear. Again, it does dig into itself on the spool. Spiderline has above average knot strength. I have had success with a double palomar knot. As far as value, this line doesn’t stack up as one of the more value friendly lines. Unlike FireLine, it does not fray. It is light years ahead of Fusion in performance.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:33 am

I think i'll stick with MONO. The only problem is i use a blood knot to tie the shock leader, it creates a big lump considering the shock leader line is 80-100lb test line.

I think its much safer when I cast with 11-12' rods. Still a lot of anglers have misconception thinking it has great strenth and will not break.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:03 pm

how bout 80lb Powerpro?

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:53 am

I've heard many good things about Power Pro, never tried it yet though. I guess as long as its elastic its pretty good. Not sure what would be the best knot to tie em. Hate that feeling when u feel that lil ridigit bump going across your thumb.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:22 pm

Powerpro is definitely worth a try. It has excellent knot strength, easy castability, and decent abrasion resistance. The manaul recommends the palomar on terminal tackle but I've been using the UNI on terminal tackle and the UNI-UNI when attaching it to mono without any problems.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:05 am

Spider Wire does have benefits as well as there weak points.
For rockcod fishing, I like using it. I can feel the bottom of the ocean and feel the bite easily.
The bad part is it is not very abrasive resistent.

At times, I do get hung up on a rock. Alot of the times I can just shake my rod and the snag will come loose (95% of the time). 4% of the time I have to drive the boat back over the spot and work it out from there and 1% of the time I have to break it off.

Yes, I do loose gear and the spider wire do break when its snagged up pretty good. But, after years of working with it for rockcodding. I loose a minimum amount of gear now. What I have found that works well is to use the last 3 to 4 feet with a mono line attached to the spider wire.

There are other things to watch out for while using braided line in general. Like becareful of hands and fingers if the line is snagged up. It can cut you. Also becareful of the rub rails of your boat, if your snagged up pretty good, it will slice it like butter. Sometimes the line will DIG into the spool of line and get caught in there. And lastly it doesn't cast to good.

Party boat guys (san francisco region) do NOT like spider wire. They will not let you fish if your reel has spider wire (braided line).

Ken (17' whaler / 22' hydrasport wa)