Reels made with Magnesium?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
kpIndiana
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Reels made with Magnesium?

Post by kpIndiana » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:21 pm

I have been reading a lot about reels with magnesium frames, and spools and you are not supposed to use them in saltwater or brackish water because magnesium is highly corrosive. I was wondering if anyone as any experience with these magnesium reels and if there is a lot of corrosion happening with them? I see they are very good reels and they do command a premium price, but I am worried that even though I fish freshwater, that if I should be concerned about every little thing that touches it, like when it rains or when I clean it with water from my facet?

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Reels made with Magnesium?

Post by Reno Reeler » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:46 pm

kpIndiana,

I own the Shimano Chronarch MG and fish it in fresh water only. I have not seen any signs of corrosion. I clean my tackle with TackleIt and Reel Magic after every trip. Magnesium is a tremendously light and strong material.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:47 pm

Good question. I have never found problems with mine. But on another board, when the same question came up, it was mentioned by a specialty tackle shop owner that sunscreen and chemicals in fish attractants could affect the paint of the reels. So cleaning them often like Reno does, is a smart thing to do.

http://www.japantackle.com/tform/viewto ... opicID=729

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:02 pm

Yeah im concerned as well. Would I be able to use the TD-X100HSDF in salt water? Daiwa doesn't specific this.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:11 pm

Jinz000

Have you tried calling Daiwa? Normally they're very friendly and try their best to answer your questions.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:22 pm

TD-X100HSDF isn't the magnesium one.
Should be okay in saltwater/brackish.
Just rinse it afterwards and dry it.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:09 pm

I just don't think its worth it paying $349.00 for one, Knowing it can't touch salt water.

Only if Daiwa made the TDZ non-magnesium maybe id get one. Any how tackle tour did a really nice review on the Daiwa supertuned TDX103HSDF. Hadn't it been for them I wouldn't even know something like that even existed. Awesome reel!!!!!

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:28 pm

These days they are making magnesium reels made for salt water.

derringer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by derringer » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:53 am

kpindiana- don't worry about using that reel in fresh water. Should be just fine. As long as you keep it away from saltwater you should have no problem. Saltwater is harsh on any reel, even reels rated for saltwater fishing. I'm inclined to agree that $350 is a lot to spend for an Mg reel. The whole purpose is the reduced weight. It's probably worth it if you fish in tournaments for competition.