Casting Distance

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Tackle Junkie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Casting Distance

Post by Tackle Junkie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:31 am

This question is for the testers. Why don't you give the distance a bait-casting reel will cast? Especially when you compare two reels side by side. You usually write something like: cast far, cast as far, or neither would out cast the other. I know that the lure, line weight/type, and rod will make a difference. I know my car's gas mileage will vary. Tell us what you're using and give us some numbers to compare with. [font=Arial][/font]

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Casting Distance

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:12 am

Welcome,
Tackle Junkie!

You stake a not decided problem imo.
Each tackle is too individual. Let's take two reels of one class.: A and B. On the same rod, with the same line and bait, we allow, A throws easier and further. But if we shall change a rod, line and/or bait, that, quite can be, B will throw easier and further. The conditions vary - and the leader can vary. The verifier (fisher) other - and results completely other.
In my opinion, TTT make for us almost utmost. That it is possible to meter and to pinpoint - it is underlined precisely. And that it is meaningful to indicate only on personal sensations - and it is so underlined.
You, likely, wanted to hear the answer from TTT? - But each fisher to itself the verifier. And the TTT, like :), are occupied relevant, but decided problem: by test of lines. Here just it is possible almost all to test and to try: diameter, strength, friction, wear hardness, extensibility, specific gravity, memory... But with what line for you or for me will have light runaway, the maximum range etc. - is all the same to ourselves to decide.
If your problem (etc...) was decided uniquely, the forums would be not necessary. There would be nothing to debate!.. Has selected under the catalogue and purchased of the robot-fisher and has sent it on fishing. From a remote-control console, sitting at home on a sofa. ;)

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:28 pm

Hi Tackle Junkie,

Welcome to the TT forum! The first thing we do when testing a new reel is tie on a 1/2oz casting plug and fire away. The reason we don't list particular cast numbers is becuase it is difficult to measure the numbers with all the external factors like each individual editors casting ability, wind, the rod used in the test etc. We try and go into more detail in our shootouts when we try and duplicate the exact conditions on both setups.

Then when we field test reels individually we try the reel in an application that we think suits the reel. With that in mind we will tie on a particular type of bait and (ex. jig, swimbait, crankbait) etc. and give you our best opinion. While casting distance and accuracy deals with a lot of factors ranging from skill to the rod the reel is paired with, we hope our opinion helps give you a better idea in which to base your own decision on.

We are working hard to further quantify some reviews such as the line reviews in which we have invested in new equipment to test tensile strength, abrasion resistance, etc. But as always our goal is simply to arm you with more information on the latest tackle.

Tackle Junkie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Tackle Junkie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:47 pm

I think it would be great to record the numbers that your staff attains while casting the ½ oz practice plug. The same person could cast one reel and then cast a different reel using the same conditions, line, and rod used previously. Then use a different person to do the same. I think the overall average numbers would give use (the consumer) an idea what to expect from the reel before we buy it. Don’t compare Abu Garcia 4600C3 against Shimano’s Calcutta CTE100DC. Compare reels in the same class and price range and or caliber. Shimano’ new Calais CL200 verses the older Daiwa TD-Z103H. My shooting abilities aren’t up to par with the shooting staff at Guns and Ammo. When they test a gun, several of their staff members shoot it at the same target, the same ammunition and with as close to the same environment as possible. So, when they advertise that they were able to shoot two-inch groups with gun XXX at twenty-five yards. I buy gun XXX and can only shoot ten-inch groups at twenty-five yards I know something is wrong the gun. If I shoot four and five-inch groups I’m probably close. If you are able to cast a TDZ103H 50 yards with the cast control set on five then I should be able to cast it 35 or 40 yards. If I can’t then the reel must be defective. That is just my 2cents. :D

Hammer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hammer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:05 pm

I think everyone understands that there are numerous uncontrollable factors that affect casting distance. But im with tackle junkie on this one. Id like to see some numbers just to get a feel for the distance you guys are casting with these setups.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:00 am

If we are going for max distance casts i guess you would have to alsoinclude the number of birdsnests too. Snidley

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:31 pm

Tackle junkle I'm on the same page. Many times I have to private msg other members to get that info so I can have a general idea of the distance their getting with their reels.