The longest cast.....

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

The longest cast.....

Post by shtuka » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:24 am

I have been contemplating for some time about buying surf fishing rod and reel (TICA ABYSS reminded me). Since I never tried this technique I would like to ask for opinion on casting distance: how does it compare to the specialized carp gear?
I know that carp fishermen in Europe cast their rigs regularly over 100-150 yds.
The common features on both setups are: wide diameter long cast spool, long parabolic rods and few large oversized guides. However, the surf fishing gear seems to be twice as heavy.
Anybody who has a little bit experience with long casts (with, surf and/or carp gear) is invited to join discussion.

If I decide to buy surf gear (versus specialized carp gear) I will be using it in the salt only when on vacation. Primary use will be fishing for salmon (or just having fun with making extreme casts) on the Great Lakes.

This is the Daiwa Reel ( Emcast® Plus ) which looks like a good deal. Any comments?

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The longest cast.....

Post by Jinz000 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:54 am

shtuka carp gears their poles are usually 15' long I 've even heard of ones where it was up to 25' so imagine casting that, it gets pretty heavy.. Though however I feel I would have a great time casting those carp gears.

The guides on casting surf gear are relatively small compared to their spinning counterparts. So more guides are present on the casting than the spinning rods.

The emcast is a great entry level reel, if you have the extra money go for the daiwa emblem pro. Many times using the emcast i've had the bail close on me accidently it gets really annoying. Their almost the same reels except for spool size, bearings and bail, trust me its worth the upgrade.

If your talking about casting distance, an average surf caster on the beach can get around 150-180 yards "fishing". Notice I emphasized fishing and not tournament casting.

Carp gear and surf gear are different like night and day, you cannot use carp gear in the surf unless all your going for is perch. If you hook a striper or a red ur rod will snap in seconds. Likewise you can't use surf gear to catch carp it's pretty heavy and really annoying to hold while reeling back and forth to catching those little darn things. Get something that will suit your fishing needs and not just something that will cast far.

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:20 pm

Jinz000, which daiwa has larger spool Emcast or Emblem pro?

"... Their almost the same reels except for spool size, bearings and bail, trust me its worth the upgrade...."

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:52 pm

Emblem pro.