New Reels Seems Stiff/Sluggish

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
ScooterP
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New Reels Seems Stiff/Sluggish

Post by ScooterP » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:52 pm

Hi,

I just purchased and unwrapped 2 new spinning reels. One, an Okuma Metaloid MD15, the other, a Pflueger Solara 5720 Ultra Light. They both seem a little sluggish and not as smooth as I thought they should be. Will they smooth out and loosen up after a little use? Is this typical for new reels? Do I need to lube them? What's the deal?

Thanks,

Scooter

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Reels Seems Stiff/Sluggish

Post by quantum angler nt » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:46 pm

Try lubing it, if that doesn't work fish it into the ground for awhile and if there are further problems contact the companies and find out what your warranty covers. You don't wanna wait a year and find out your reels have a major problem and that your warranty expired. Then you'd have to fork out big bucks!

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dazzle » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:32 pm

Wait! Don't lube it.
The Metaloid comes a little stiff when being retrieved.
Fish it a few times and it will loosen up.
My friend has one and it was the same.

--Daz

ScooterP
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ScooterP » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:34 pm

Thanks Daz,

I've been working the reels and they are both smoothing out quite nicely. Tomorrow is the big day to give them the true test on the lake. So far I really like the way they feel.

Scotty