Braided lines

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
hermit
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Braided lines

Post by hermit » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:15 am

A friend recently spooled up with a braided line - Fire Line I believe. He noted a vibration effect when reeling in the line and thought that something was wrong with his reel. I tried reeling in the line and noticed the same effect along with an audible sound. Is this because of the braiding in the line?

Hermit

crankit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braided lines

Post by crankit » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:48 pm

Hermit, how did he tie the knot onto the spool?
With braided lines you have to either put some
mono on first, tape, or some way to secure it
cause it will slip when reeling. Maybe that's where
them vibrations are coming from.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:59 pm

I've got mono backing on my reel and then Powerpro. When I retrieve I can hear the coating of the line rubbing on my guides but no vibrations.

hermit
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by hermit » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:04 am

I think your description of *hearing* the line is more accurate. At first he thought it was his reel - that the gearing was messed up some way. Alomst sounded like there was sand in the reel. I asked about backing the braided line, and he did not do that. He did switch to mono and he's not hearing the line anymore; must have been the braided line.