st croix legend elite

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
roy smallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

st croix legend elite

Post by roy smallie » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:39 pm

hi...i am looking into purchasing a new spinning rod....i am leaning to the legend elite 6!6 mlf from st croix..the price seems a little steep and i was wondering if anyone has used these rods and if price is worth it....thanks

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: st croix legend elite

Post by bitesize » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:49 pm

I don't own one, but have used my friend's a few times.
The legend is the top of the line for st croix. It felt really nice,
but still can't match loomis' glx material. But the difference
cannot be felt. I would say when it comes to that, it's going
to be your wallet and brand preference. You cant go wrong
with loomis or st croix.

hermit
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by hermit » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:06 am

All my spinning and casting rods are St. Croix, and I find them excellent. They produce rods that are less in cost, so you don't have to drop the big bucks for a high quality rod.

Hermit

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:16 am

Roy,

Never tried the Legend Elite but if you are looking for a premium rod, check out a Kistler Helium. I bought the one reviewed on this web site in the spring. Now I own 3 Heliums and one Kistler Mark Tyler Series! I have a 7ft Med Spinning and the 6ft 9in MH casting heliums I love to use for smallies. I've had to sell a lot of my stuff to buy the heliums but they are worth it. I think the Kistler Helium is about a $100 less than the legend Elite.

Happy Shopping!

Mike

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:46 am

KoYak,
Do you use a baitcaster with your heliums? How are they for spinnerbaits and crankbaits?

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:15 am

Bundy,

The 6'9" MH baitcasting Helium is my favorite rod. i think the common thinking is that you need a moderate action rod for crankbaits and an extra fast action rod like 6'9" MH may not be the best choice. One thing i like about this rod is that it has a fairly soft tip. Which gives it just enough give to fish crankbaits but it also make it very versatile rod. I use this rod for Crankbaits, and spinner baits and it is an awesome senko rod. Only thing I do not us this rod for are bottom lures such as Jig N Pig, plastic worms and such. That is where the 7ft MH helium shines.

Mike

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:12 pm

KoYak,

Where did you pick up your Kistler rods? Are the cork handles on the Kistlers comperable to the G. Loomis and St. Croix rods?

I do like the shaped handles on the St. Croix rods, and if I'm not mistaken, the G. Loomis and St. Croix rods both come with a limited lifetime warranty.

Reno Reeler

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:38 pm

F.Y.I.,

In Outdoor Life magazine's 2003 tackle test, Sirrus Rods' (http://www.rodsbysirrus) crankbait rod (model sbc701m 1 piece) beat out the G. Loomis and St. Croix rods.

I bought one for $89 and am amazed by the quality of this rod.

The Sirrus rods come with an "unconditional lifetime warranty".

Reno Reeler

roy smallie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by roy smallie » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:54 pm

thanks guys for the input...i went to the sporting good store near me and they had the legend elite model there...after playing with it for awhile, i had to take it home....very light and should be perfect with the in-line spinners i use for smallmouth...i will check out the kistler rods when i get a chance

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:18 pm

Reno,
Dang, the Sirrus rod is very affordable.
And if it beats the Loomis and st croix I'll
definitely have to give it a try. Can I buy it online
other than their website?

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:12 am

Reno,

I've bought my Heliums on e-bay, Cabelas, and from Kistlerrods.com. kistlers do not have a shaped handle like an St Croix Avid casting. But it is very comfortable. And, I am sure you've noticed, the heliums do not have a grip above the reel seat. This little feature allows my index finger to come in direct contact with the blank whic enhances the sensitivity of the rod and reduces weight. All kistlerrods have a lifetime warranty.

FYI - Trey Kistler is very customer service oriented. Initially, I did not like the handle length on my casting Helium. I emailed him about my concerns. He wrote me back that if i wanted to, I could exchange my rod for a custom helium of my specification! now that is awesome. I never exchanged it because, after I fished this rod one more time i felt it was perfect.

Kistler will have my business for a long time to come, because they have great products and great customer service.

Mike

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:13 am

bitesize,

Call or e-mail Sirrus. If you call, the presidident of the company Ken Whiting will probably answer the phone!

4820 Intrepid Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada 89130
Phone: 1-702-395- 2173
Fax: 1-702-395-5429
http://www.rodsbysirrus.com
E-mail: airrusrods@mindspring.com

Reno Reeler

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:18 am

KoYak, I did notice the grip length on the heliums seems to be a bit on the short side at 7-8", 9 or 10" would be more to my liking. How is the balance on your 6'9" rod? Is it tip heavy or does the rod have enough weight in the butt? What reel are you using?