Capricorn 4000 Bail Problems

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Capricorn 4000 Bail Problems

Post by gyro » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:37 am

good idea thunnus! :lol: Now that's what I like about this board....creative solutions. Called Daiwa, spoke to Mike Beebe (the guy Reno spoke to) and he said they never considered that either but looking at the schematics, you just have to replace some of the bushings with bb's. So they tried it, while I was waiting on the phone, and found that the bushing on the other side of the drive gear could be replaced with a bb. Cool. In terms of the handle, he said it would be inaccessible. He couldn't find the 7th bb of the Prodigy in the schematics so if there are 2 bb's in the handle then you can only replace one of the bushings of the Capricorn to a bb. The bb is $6.25 so in the end, it is better to buy the Prodigy....less money, less effort, more bb's.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:19 pm

Thunnus,

I think it would definitely be worth it to install the additional ball bearings. If you or any other Capricorn owners decide to undertake the project, I'm sure the TT members would enjoy a thread on the project. Documenting the project with pictures and part numbers would be appreciated.

I've already got the title "Super-Tuned Capricorn". Don't forget the hot sauce grease & oil!

In addition to the greater number of ball bearings on the Cabelas Prodigy, there is a cosmetic difference. The rotor side covers on the Capricorn are silver and the Prodigy's are gold. Below are the rotor side cover part numbers for the Prodigy 1000/2000:

Part Name........Cover (A)
Part Number.....6G206503

Part Name........Cover (B)
Part Number.....6G413001

Nate
Angler
Angler

Post by Nate » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:50 pm

I got my Cap 4000 from ebay for less than $100, new in box. I am thinking about getting those upgraded bearings, anybody have part numbers or sizes? I will keep you all updated on how my reel is doing, I am hoping it stays the way it is. By the way, I just landed a 35+ pound salmon on my little 6'6'' Fenwick and Catalyst 30 with 8lb Trilene XL. It took about 45 minutes to land that beast, and I was just shocked. Needless to say, I have newfound respect for my little Catalyst, so I am NOT purchasing another Capricorn. I was using a tiny Quickfish behind a single split shot, drifting for rainbows. I didn't even know the salmon were up as far as I was yet, I was shocked when I hooked into that thing!!

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:01 pm

35+ pounder!?!? Ok, you gotta show us a picture!!!!

Nate
Angler
Angler

Post by Nate » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:07 pm

No picture, no proof. I went up there alone to fish for rainbows - the biggest I have landed there was about 2 pounds. I cought a couple little guys, the biggest being about 12 inches. I wasn't having any luck in this one huge hole, so I tied on a tiny flatfish in a frog pattern. About the fourth cast, it just stopped. When it started to move, I thought I had broken a branch free under the water. Needless to say, that fish was a ton of work on a 6'6'' Medium Fenwick Venture (the best $50 I have ever spent), and my Catalyst 30 with 8 pound Trilene XL. The friend that showed me the place said that the salmon run there next month, so he must be a little early. Anyway, after about 45 minutes of running up and down the bank and falling over rocks - I landed him. After I saw him in the river, I honestly thought there was no way I was going to land him on my gear. I had no way to measure him, so I held him up to the belt line on my shorts, and his tail was bent on the ground (I am about 6' tall with shoes on). I measured the distance when I got home - I figure he was 42-45 inches long...somewhere around 35-40 pounds I am guessing. The biggest fish I have ever landed, and it made my season, especially when I would have been overjoyed with a 15 inch rainbow from that river!
Last edited by Nate on Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:18 pm

Good job Nate! Catching a big salmon using light tackle from shore is quite an accomplishment. Too bad there are no pictures but at least you can enjoy that moment for a lifetime. :lol:

Nate
Angler
Angler

Post by Nate » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:23 pm

You have no idea what it felt like to finally get that fish landed. All I could do was look at laying in the water, no camera, no scale or tape measure - and no friends to see it. Like I said, after I saw him roll once, I just told myself there was no way I was going to be able to land him on that tackle. I am VERY impressed with that line, Trilene has my business for life!