line & reel

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
praznik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

line & reel

Post by praznik » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:21 pm

:? i have a question i hope someone can help me . on your fishing reel it gives line weight & yards .
say it says 4 , 6 , 8 pound . my question is can you use 10 pound or spiderline fusion 10 pound which has 6 pound diameter . i dont see what it would hurt but i need some opinions .thanks for your input .
praznik

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: line & reel

Post by gyro » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:37 pm

Good question esp with the popularity of braided line. It should be ok to use lines outside the recommended range except for two considerations. You have reduced line capacity with the heavier line which is important when you are fishing for hard running fish like salmon, carp, and musky. And the other thing is that with the heavier line, you are putting more stress on a light reel. My friend was using 20lb diameter braided line on an expensive spinning reel with a recommended range of 8-12lb, and ended up wearing out his handle assembly and busting his bail within a month. Then again, maybe it was just him. :wink:

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: line & reel

Post by bitesize » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:47 pm

gyro is right. And let me add my 2 cents as well.
Most reels will not have 100% lock down on drags.
They are designed for a specific pressure.
So if you're fishing line that's rated much higher
than specificed, most likely you will be fishing
larger fish that the reel might not be able to handle.
The big fish can ruin your drags and possibly
other parts. I haven't personally seen it happen.
I always see new people spool up line that's either
way too heavy or way too light for the size of reel
they have. Well, it's a learning experience to find
the right combo.