Plastics

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Plastics

Post by dazzle » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:40 pm

Been looking around lately and notice there
are way more companies that makes
plastics now. What brands do you guys use
and find good or bad?

I have used Gary Yamamoto -good
Berkley Power Tubes - ok
Walmart FLW lizards - ok, but durability isn't so good on
the tail
Various types of swimming grubs that I find all about the same.

What do you guys use?

--Daz

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Plastics

Post by Wayne » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:40 pm

Hi Daz

I like yamoto senkos, basspro tubes, berkley worms, kalins grubs, and the zoom flukes. How is that for a mixture. I find the yamoto grubs fish real good but the tails don't hold up, a nibble from a dink fish will haul them off.

Keep Castin Wayne

praznik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by praznik » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:30 pm

i seem to do good with berkley power worms .
also madman craw tubes .
praznik

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:16 am

I use exude, berkely, strike king, terminator, and zoom.

bearpaw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bearpaw » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:06 am

Hey
I am into plastics about 75% of my fishing. I do about 15-20 tournaments/year. I was a yamaomoto fan for years and still am. But Since I have been making handpoured baits I have not touched a senko. The Yamamoto grubs are one of my favorites next to my baits. Check out my web site and I explain just about everything there is to know about handpoured baits.
http://www.bearpawshandpouredbaits.com
I love to make my own plastics. Better yet I get a good feeling when I catch quality fish on something I created. It is even more satisfying that other people come to me and tell me the stories of the fish that they caught on my baits. That is the ultimate feeling.
The way I engineered these baits to work is the floating method. This way you control the action of the bait for as long and as deep as you want
The reason that handpoured baits work so well is te soft texture that gives the lifelike presentation and feel. For example the soft texture allows the bait to not only have superior lifelike action , but the feel of the bait is soft like a salamander, crawfish, worm, snake, etc.
I bring all of this to the table with durability and a little extra with scents. I like to match the color of the baits with the scent of the fishes prey. For example, take a shad colored bait. I bake in the batter shad scents, for crawfish colored baits like Pupmkinseed I bake in the batter crawfish scents. Along with the matching natural scents with colored baits, I blend in cover scents such as anise, garlic, tournament pro, etc. I call them cover scents due to these scents cover up the smell of the human hand or foreign smells like oil and gas. These cover scents are appealing to the fish.
The special ingredients, salts, and scents that I cook in the batter, make the fish hang on to the bait longer for proper and deeper hooksets.
The handpoured baits are not recognised too often by your top tournament pros. The handpour can be the edge that the pro is looking for. For reasons of matching colors with scents, special size of bait, certain color or shade of a color, and that special lifelike action. The factory baits you are limited.Although there are many baits to choose from but get a bait that watermelon seed laminated with red/green fleck at 51/4 inches that may be the exact same size of the pray that the big fish are gorging on. Oh yea find that same handpour with a rattle molded in the bait itself for that extra attraction. So these handpoured baits are the edge of your top noched pros. also they don't get recgonized is that the hanpourer does not have the money to pay fees or give boats away or help out with expenses. Usually these strategically made baits are made in a garage. Usually the handpour baker may get a percentage, or products that the pro is sponsored with.
To put it in a nutshell. The handpoured bait has its place and when made right can catch fish for you all the time. I work very hard on my baits and I want to bring them to you for free test samples. Just visit the web site and email me and you will catch fish.

Bearpaw