Daiwa Capricorn Maintenance

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Guppy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Capricorn Maintenance

Post by Guppy » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:50 am

For those Capricorn owners out there ...

Looking at the schematic of the reel. If I were to perform oil or grease maintenance on the reel, where would I put the oil or grease?

I you could give me the part number as detailed in the schematic that would be the best I figure. For example, put a drop of oil on part X, put some grease on part Y.

In general how often would one lubricate a reel?

Not that I am having problems with the reel, I was just curious on how to maintain it.

Thanks.

derringer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Capricorn Maintenance

Post by derringer » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:13 pm

Guppy, I don't have a Capricorn but I do my own reel maintenance. You should only need to tear it apart once a year unless you fish several times a week. Maybe twice a year if so. Other than that, rinse the reel after every trip with light water (don't blast it) and then dry it with a soft clean cloth. Generally speaking, you want to put light grease on gears (worm gear, drive gears) and oil the bearings and other moving parts(bail springs/hinges, line roller, under antireverse lever, handle). Just don't overdo it. Too much can degrade the reel. Quantum's website gives a detailed description of how to lubricate spinning and baitcast reels. Just go to their site and click on customer service.