Compare Daiwa Capricorn to Quantum Catalyst PTi ?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
jedi_angler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Compare Daiwa Capricorn to Quantum Catalyst PTi ?

Post by jedi_angler » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:26 pm

Was hoping someone could help me sort out a comparison, opinions, etc. between these two (the 4000 model vs. the 40). They both get great reviews here on T3, and despite the price difference it's not clear to me that one's better than the other in any significant way.

Can someone help us understand the differences between them (pro's and con's) and why one might be worth $30 more than the other (or not)?

Thanks!

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Compare Daiwa Capricorn to Quantum Catalyst PTi ?

Post by quantum angler nt » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:09 pm

I own the Catalyst 40 Pti. I really like and think its a great mid ranged reel. I am an angler on a budget and can't afford the really high priced reels. For my money its probably the best one I can afford. I think the Capricorn looks like a sweet reel too (although I haven't been fortunate enough to buy one and try it). The Cathalst Pti is a very durable reel because of the shiny vacuum deposition plating on the reel. The bearings are smooth and the drag system is decent to good.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:27 pm

The catalyst is a fine reel and i almost bought it myself. But a number of repair shops told me that Quantum catalysts and kinetics were brought in the most. I even spoke to a Quantum rep who told me unofficially that they were still finding some durability issues in their reels. That doesn't include the recent recall of the catalysts and kinetics this year due to a faulty anti reverse. There was no question in my mind, after that, in choosing the Capricorn. I've caught bass, crappie, trout, walleye, and even a 42inch muskie so far on it and even when the fish tears out most of my spool, I can always count on the sweet unfailing sound of a Daiwa drag.

Check out this email I received from the owner of Temescal Tackle after I asked about spinning reels:

"As for the reels; all three brands and models you
> are
> considering ARE tournament-grade products, period!
> The Quantum PTi Catylist series are fabulous reels,
> and cannot be beat in the under-$100 range. While
> they are a newer series in their second year, they
> have been put to the test repeatedly in the hands of
> professionals long before they were released to the
> market. The Shimano Stradics are reels we have more
> than 13 years experience with, and they have proven
> themselves repeatedly in all applications. The best
> overal value and quality in spinning reels presently
> we believe are the Daiwa Capricorns. They are also
> "new," but in reality they are not. These reels use
> the same components as the Team Daiwa TD-S Series,
> introduced several years ago now, but have one less
> ball bearing, and different(silver)body coloration.
> They are also built by Daiwa in their own factory in
> Korea, from parts made in Japan(where all TD-S and
> TD-X models are made). This is the only series of
> reels whose spool lip is coated with gold, Titanium
> Nitride, polished, and is the easiest to feather
> cast
> with your index finger extended. They also use a
> larger, tubular, stainless steel bail, which is very
> light for it's larger diameter(Air Bail), and have
> the
> most rugged, machined aluminum folding handle design
> of all three brands/models. Personally, I fished
> with
> Stradic's for nearly 10 years every week, and
> converted to Capricorn's last fall when they were
> introduced. Even with fewer ball bearings than a
> Quantum Catylist PTi, the smoothness of operation on
> the Capricorns is superior. You can review other
> specification details and construction differences
> on
> our website, as we carry all three brands/models.
>
> We hope this helps in your selection"

derringer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by derringer » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:15 pm

I think the Catalyst is a great reel but the Capricorn is definitely better. You'll know where that extra $30 went if you've used both. Daiwa definitely has the better drag. Daiwa also uses a higher quality machined aluminum handle than Quantum uses on the Catalyst. The Catalyst is definitely a great value at under $100.

Nate
Angler
Angler

Post by Nate » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:49 am

I am new to this forum, but uniquely qualified to answer this question, as I own both a Catalyst PTi 30 and a Capricorn 4000. I bought the Capricorn because I wanted a reel with more strength to yank those 5lb largemouth from the weeds, and I am glad I did. For the money, under $100, I don't think you can beat the Quantum, but if you have the extra $30 or so - buy the Capricorn! I have owned a lot of upper-end reels, and have even tried out a Stella - and I personally like the Daiwa over them all. It just "feels" right, like a well built European car if you know what I mean. Hope this helps!

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:08 pm

I own a Quantum Catalys PT10 and Cabelas Prodigy 2000.

• The Cabelas Prodigy (built by Daiwa) IS the Daiwa Capricorn but souped up with 7 ball bearings + 1 roller bearing. This is one of my smoothest reels.

• Both reels come with a spare aluminum spool. However Quantum, which boasts about its ceramic drag washers, chose poorly when they decided not to include them on the spare spool! Like we wouldn't notice.

• Quantums titanium bail is inferior to the smooth lines of the Daiwa air bail. Unless you're a beast with your tackle.

• Quantums vacuum disposition finish is difficult to keep looking clean, despite using Tackle-it cleaner.

I love both reels, but it is clear that the Cabelas Prodigy (souped up Capricorn) is superior.