Testing the Saltiga

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Testing the Saltiga

Post by Zander » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:24 am

On the second day of field testing the new Saltiga from Daiwa. So far this reel is really impressive. I can get near 20lbs of drag pressure on her. I know its overkill but I used her for Salmon today and talk about muscle! I spanked that fish all the way in. Going to do casting tests tomorrow.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Testing the Saltiga

Post by gyro » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:57 pm

Hi Zander,

The Saltiga is supposed to be an excellent offshore reel with its hyper tournament drag system, durability, and waterproof gear box. But I was wondering if it has a titanium spool lip, long cast carbon-forged spool, and whether it has a worm gear system.

I noticed that you also reviewed the Capricorn so how do u think they compare? The Saltiga is definitely better but at $550-600, is it really 500% better than the $115 Capricorn. The Capricorn is supposed perform similar to and better than the SS II which are almost identical to the Team Daiwa S.

So Zander, what kind of spinner setups do u use....Daiwa/Shimano/Quantum reels on Loomis/St.Croix/Megabass rods? Do u guys buy these equipment personally and test them or do u get free samples from the manufacturers?

Thanks in advance.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:23 pm

Actually I am field testing the Saltiga open conventional reel. I'm not a big proponent of spending hundreds of dollars more for a spinning reel, but in terms of conventionals to get a good drag, a lightweight anodized frame, complete machined refinement, and high strength gears it is not unread of to spend 400 dollars for a reel, though I have fished reels in the 250 dollar range that impressed me.

I'm bass fishing 75% of the time so I favor baitcast rigs and open face reels over spinning but when I am on shore I typically run GLoomis rods with either the previous Shimano Sustain or Daiwa TD-S...though the Capricorn is a better reel for the money.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:34 am

AFter the Saltiga, how about doing a review on the new Daiwa Laguna freshwater spinning reel. A lot of ppl are confused by the number of bb's the Laguna has (7) compared to other reels at the same price or higher. Plus, after reading the review about the Shimano Sedona, it would be nice to see a review on a comparable Daiwa reel.