What's up with lead in so much fishing tackle?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What's up with lead in so much fishing tackle?

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:11 am

Thanks for mentioning several valid reasons lead is used in fishing gear. Concerning sinkers -- I've tried an alternative a time or two, but certainly did not like the cost and the feel when fishing was uncomfortable -- maybe partly because I am so used to lead sinkers an how fast they get down.

I would mention, however, that all the lead warnings I read on fishing tackle has me wondering if there is any problem with handling such tackle all the time -- I certanily don't put it my mouth like a child might do with a toy or just a small object.

I would suspect that other anglers may be wondering about using so much gear with lead in it, and I would think that some tackle, rod, and reel sellers would see a competetive advantage in selling gear without lead -- especailly if it would be so simple as using a different paint.

Susitnasalmonguide

Jason Milligan
Angler
Angler

Re: What's up with lead in so much fishing tackle?

Post by Jason Milligan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm pretty sure the lead warnings are for legalities. They have to warn you if it's in there to protect themselves. Unless you're chewing on split shots the amount of lead you come in contact with during fishing is nowhere near enough to harm you.
Pro Staff: Hi's Tackle Box, Damiki Fishing Tackle