Help me pick a Round Baitcaster please

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".

Which reel should I get? Luna 203 or Millionaire SW 203

Daiwa Luna 203
50%
Daiwa Millionaire SW 203
50%

Total votes: 46

chinook
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Help me pick a Round Baitcaster please

Post by chinook » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:52 pm

Fishing OC: It's a little difficult for me to make the comparison between the Conquest and the Luna because I haven't fished the same sized reels in both lines. My conquest is a 401; I expect that to have more torque and power than my CV-Z203LA. Your comparisons may be more valid as you have apparently fished both reels in the same size.
That said, I don't find my Conquest to be appreciably smoother and I prefer Daiwa's magnetic braking. Once I swapped out the drag washers on the CV-Z for HT100s, the drag is very smooth and quite powerful though I haven't measured with a scale to see how many pounds I'm getting at max.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Conquest but the difference in price is considerable; $250 versus $400+. The magnetic brakes on the smaller Lunas (unlike my CV-Z), are externally adjustable so can quickly and easily be re-set as conditions and/or lures being cast change. Additionally, as you know, there is no warranty available in the US for the Conquest. After all that, I did buy the Conquest 401 but the 300L Luna also doesn't have externally adjustable magnetic brakes. If it did, I probably would have purchased it instead of the 401 Conquest as it would have had everything I wanted and at a much lower price. Different people look for different features in their reels.