Leader question

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Leader question

Post by REW » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:15 pm

I am looking for a line, in 4 or 6 lb test, to use as a leader for river fishing. Being that I have had some unpleasant experiences with unexpected breakage while using fluorocarbon, I would like to use a non-fluoro line. Since it will be for fishing rivers, something that is abrasion-resistant is required. Good relative breaking strength is also a necessity. Stretch isn't a factor, as my mainline will be braid, and since it is only for leaders, stiffness isn't a problem, either.

So, what might you suggest. P-line, and Maxima have been suggested, so far, but I would like to see what others say.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Leader question

Post by l2yan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:52 pm

I highly recommend pline cxx. Extremely durable and strong for diameter.
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:18 pm

Please try TECTAN,super mono!!!

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:05 pm

You should take a look at what fly fishermen use as their leader material. There are some very interesting line with incredible strength to diameter ratio.

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:19 pm

[quote="REW"]I am looking for a line, in 4 or 6 lb test, to use as a leader for river fishing. Being that I have had some unpleasant experiences with unexpected breakage while using fluorocarbon, I would like to use a non-fluoro line. Since it will be for fishing rivers, something that is abrasion-resistant is required. Good relative breaking strength is also a necessity. Stretch isn't a factor, as my mainline will be braid, and since it is only for leaders, stiffness isn't a problem, either.

So, what might you suggest. P-line, and Maxima have been suggested, so far, but I would like to see what others say.[/quote

I was catching fish over 40lb. in river(TRINITY RIVER ,TEXAS and salt water-ROLLOVER PASS ,TEXAS with FIRELINE 4lb.and fluorocarbon leader (SEAGUAR CARBON PRO and XPS FLUOROCARON from BASS PRO),so i can tell you i never have problem with good fluorocarbon leader.

If you are looking for normal mono the best is DAMYL TECTAN(made in Germany) very strong and resistent mono.

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Jean, your setup is similar to what I plan. What type of knot do you use with your fluorocarbon? I suppose I could give fluoro another shake, along side mono, just to be certain that I just didn't get some bad batches.

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:53 am

I make on buckle on FIRELINE(surgeon knot) and with TRILENE knot (1 inch tag) i tie the fluorocartbon leader.
Palomar knot for jig.