help. size of spinning reel and spinning reel line.

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
simple_mr2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

help. size of spinning reel and spinning reel line.

Post by simple_mr2 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:46 am

PART 1- ok, just ordered a spinning rod (7' medium light) now i need a reel to go on it. i am set on getting a stradic, i just don't know what size yet. i like the weight of the 1000, but i also like the drag of the 2500 size. i was just wondering if the 1000 was TOO small for a 7' rod. is it more of an UL reel? do i need the drag of the 2500? any opinions will help.

PART 2- i usually just use yo-zuri hybrid, but i read that its not a good line for spinning reels. i am looking to get 6lb test. what should i be looking for?
shimano/powell man gone daiwa/dobyns.... zomg!

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: help. size of spinning reel and spinning reel line.

Post by jholton » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:27 am

What are you using it for??

simple_mr2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by simple_mr2 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:21 pm

well this is my only spinning rod so it will be used for mostly everything that entails "light" tackle. shaky heads, light t-rigs, light jigs. at some point drop-shotting. it will also be used to fish for crappie, rock bass etc.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:14 pm

I'd go with a 2500 size. You can always fish light line with a bigger reel, but it's hard to fish heavier line on a small reel.

Screw the Shimano!

I recommend a new 2008 model Daiwa Adavantage, Tierra or Sol. 8-)

Daiwa RULES when it comes to spinning reels. 8-)

simple_mr2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by simple_mr2 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:20 pm

dang, thats what i keep hearing...

the shimano won at ICAST, as you probably know. i can get the stradic for 145, what daiwa reel would compare to that???

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:45 pm

simple_mr2 wrote:dang, thats what i keep hearing...

the shimano won at ICAST, as you probably know. i can get the stradic for 145, what daiwa reel would compare to that???
In that price range you could either step up to a Sol or down to a Tierra. Having owned a Tierra that would be my choice. Then you would have money left over to buy and install the 2 RCS drag kits. I like to tune and tinker with my reels so Daiwa is the only choice for me and being that the Tierra is part of the real four concept there are a ton of after market parts for it.
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:55 pm

Stradic 2500 gets my vote. I have 2 and prefer 2500 over 1000 and 4000. If you ever decide to use braid... be ready to replace drag washers often...

I switched to the Daiwa Sol 2500 and the drags are holding up alot better.. only I would recommend replacing the roller bearing with upgrade ceramic... the stock bearing starts to "scream" when loaded with big fish. The stock bearings are supposed to be sealed but they still start to scream after awhile... temporary fix: take bearing out of bail assembly and add lite oil to the housing for the bearing. I have asked Daiwa service about it but no reply...local shop suggested the oil...it works, but eventually it screams again. i don't notice any performance issue, just the noise. good luck.
I bleed Orange and Blue.... Go Gators!

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:53 pm

The new 2008 Team Daiwa Advantages are sweet! I just picked up a couple for my Lake Erie arsenal. These reels have the new Daiwa 4R concept design also! They retail for $139.95. I own 2 Daiwa Sols and 3 new model Advantages. 8-)

Also, I find it not necessary to do any upgrading on these spinning reels myself. Been catching 1000's of Lake Erie smallies over the last several years, and the stock Daiwa spinning reels perform flawlessly!

Can't think of a better fresh water test than 4+ lb smallmouth! :lol:

xxlbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by xxlbass » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:43 pm

simple_mr2 wrote:PART 1- ok, just ordered a spinning rod (7' medium light) now i need a reel to go on it. i am set on getting a stradic, i just don't know what size yet. i like the weight of the 1000, but i also like the drag of the 2500 size. i was just wondering if the 1000 was TOO small for a 7' rod. is it more of an UL reel? do i need the drag of the 2500? any opinions will help.

PART 2- i usually just use yo-zuri hybrid, but i read that its not a good line for spinning reels. i am looking to get 6lb test. what should i be looking for?

No line is good on any spinning reel. That's why I think I only have one spinning reel :lol: Yozuri hybrid is excellent line and I swear by it, so much I told my dad to get a bulk spool of 6lb test for fishing the Sierra's for trout and to my surprise it coiled like all hell broke loose and I never hear the end of it now from my dad :lol:. Maybe try Maxima or berkley whatever they make now.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:12 pm

get the 2500...the 1000 is a stout little reel and handles 6# very well...but it balances better on the shorter rods.

the 2500 balances better on the longer rods and has the stouter drag.

would rather have it and not need it as need it and not have it.

11tonytiger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 11tonytiger » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:19 pm

I have a Tierra 2500 and would highly recommend it. Super smooth and casts great. I use it for small jigs ,grubs and dropshotting.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:04 pm

I hear that the new Shimano Stradic handles line and casts better than before so it is worth a try if you prefer Shimano. Also, the 2500 will be better matched to a 7' ML.

BTW, ICAST should not be your basis for any purchase as alot of the awards are based upon hype. Since I have even heard of ICAST, I think I have agreed with their award winners' picks maybe once or twice...including rods, reels, lures, lines, etc.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:25 am

I'm not a fan of the 1000 sizes for anything but panfishing.

The 2500 has a longer handle. That means higher retrieve rate and more power. The 2500 has a larger diameter spool. That means a higher retrieve rate. The 2500 has much more drag surface.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods

fingercuffs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by fingercuffs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:10 am

I use Trilene XL or Sufix Elite for all my spinning reels.