Quick Engaging Drag

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
perchot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Quick Engaging Drag

Post by perchot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:21 am

Hi guys!

I want to buy a new reel with baitrunner (I own a Shimano Baitrunner 3500) and I found some interesting surf reels on Japantackle: Daiwa Cross Cast or Daiwa Power Surf QD. Both have Quick Engaging Drag.

What is this drag? Is it a kind of baitrunner with a separate lever or what?

Are these reels suitable for carp fishing?

What other baitrunner reel up to $200 could you recommend (prefferably with long cast spool)?

I'm fishing on St. Lawrence and I'm only using baitrunner reels. A friend of mine already lost two cheap combos from Wal-Mart because of the carps :D

Thanks![/b]

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Quick Engaging Drag

Post by shtuka » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:15 am

I believe that quick engaging drag refers to minimum number of turns from free to maximum drag. If I am not mistaken Basia has a model where there is only one 360 turn from free to full. The idea is, when you have good size fish on the other end of the line, the last thing you want to do is to play with your drag for too long. With quick drag you can easily and quickly with one hand adjust your drag from free to full.

Personally, I would like to see the same system on all reels, as long as brakes are smooth. It is ridiculous that on some reels you need to turn full 3 or 4 circles (6 or 8 movements of the hand) to increase or decrease drag pressure for maybe just one lb.

perchot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by perchot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:52 am

Thank you, Shtuka!

I'm still a little bit confused. So: do I need two settings-one for the main drag and another for freespool mode?

Let's say I'm fishing with the rod supported on a bankstick, and with a bottom rig with 3oz. lead.

How do I have to set my drag(s) so when a big fish bites it will take the line freely but for setting the hook I'll need to switch fast from free spool to a pre-seted value of the drag?

I hope I made myself understood.

Bassicly my question is this: Is this Quick Engaging Drag another type of Baitrunner drag (the same function in a different design)?

Thank you a lot!

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:20 pm

Perchot,

I don’t think there are two settings or switch for QD. It is simply what I explained in previous post - instead of turning drag dial 10-15 times to tighten the drag on regular reel, you need to make just one full 360deg turn from free to full.

perchot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by perchot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Okay, it's clear!

But this way the sensitivity of the drag will be affected, I think. The increments will not be any longer very fine. I mean instead of derating the drag power on 10-15 dial turns let's say, of 360 degrees, we'll gonna have the same drag spread on only one turn of 360 deg. Am I wrong?

Regards

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:52 pm

IMO, if drag has good quality components, smoothness will not be affected by number of turns. For example, you would just need to turn the dial 1/8 of the circle instead of full 3 circles to achieve the same amount of pressure.

On the other hand if you have cheap reel with cheap drag, and with microscopic thread that takes 30 turns to fully tighten, that drag will still be cheap jerky and useless.

This is just what I gathered from Basia (or Saltiga?) advertisements - I never had any first hand experience with these reels.

perchot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by perchot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:58 pm

Thank you again Shtuka.
I respect and I'll consider your opinion!
I'll have to give it a try, I think.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:10 pm

If you want a new and better Baitrunner I woold check out the Shimano XTE A and GTE C. Or their Baitrunner Spool models if you like Big Pit reels.

perchot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by perchot » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Thank you Wachtel, but I would prefer something with long cast spool:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Shimano-Big-BaitRunn ... otohosting