Kids tackle

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
merlin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Kids tackle

Post by merlin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:50 am

Hi everybody,

I was thinking about passing the fishing vice to my son but he is too young atm.
What is the minimum age to introduce fishing for a kid?
What tackle is worth trying? I noticed zebco and shakespeare combos.

Thanks for your help :D

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kids tackle

Post by D.R. » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:16 am

A child is never too young to fish. Give them the bug early and they will be hooked for life.

I have 5 children and 10 grandchildren and they all like to fish. I have a 10 year old grandson that lives with me that fishing is his total passion. He eats breathes and sleeps fishing. Heck, he has more high end equipment than most grown men. (with my $$$ :lol: ).

I sleep a lot easier knowing he looks up to people like Andy Caldwell (Splash), and KVD, and Rolan Martin. Instead of Snoop Dog and the bow wow bunch.

If a kid is fishing, their nose is not stuck in a video game or the TV.

Any tackle will work. It is just spending the time with them that is most important.

Just my 2 cents.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:10 am

D.R. wrote:A child is never too young to fish. ... If a kid is fishing, their nose is not stuck in a video game or the TV.

Any tackle will work. It is just spending the time with them that is most important.
Ditto! Gadget

"Zebco 202 ... The original 'point-and-click' device!"

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:26 am

D.R. wrote:A child is never too young to fish. Give them the bug early and they will be hooked for life.

I have 5 children and 10 grandchildren and they all like to fish. I have a 10 year old grandson that lives with me that fishing is his total passion. He eats breathes and sleeps fishing. Heck, he has more high end equipment than most grown men. (with my $$$ :lol: ).

I sleep a lot easier knowing he looks up to people like Andy Caldwell (Splash), and KVD, and Rolan Martin. Instead of Snoop Dog and the bow wow bunch.

Just my 2 cents.

D.R.
Well said.. cant wait til my son will go with me. He's always with me when I get ready to go and helps pick my lures. He's 3.

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:20 am

Merlin, my son was three when he caught his first trout and today, he whips my a*s most of the time :oops: . My daughter waited until she was four before catching a three pound plus smallie. You decide what the minimum age is...
Trusty ol' Zebcos were the ticket then, I expect they still are. ;)

LordRiper
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LordRiper » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:24 am

1st fish for my daughter (4 yrs old), now, she has 5 and casting swiminbaits like this:

-- Salim Giacoman --
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:30 am

merlin wrote:Hi everybody,

What is the minimum age to introduce fishing for a kid?

Thanks for your help :D
I introduced my nephew when he was 4 years old ( almost 5 ), my son was 4 1/2 when he caught his first bass, his Bday is 2 days past Christmas ( he´s gonna be 5 ).
merlin wrote:
What tackle is worth trying? I noticed zebco and shakespeare combos.
Bought my son a Shimano Scimitar 5'6" UL for rod Christmas and a small Shimano 750 Sahara for his BDay so he can go feechin with his old man.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:48 am

The earlier the better. Kids normally don't care if they're using cheap combos and tackle but buy a cheap but good setup for your kid. It will save you a lot of headache dealing with line management problems and durability of some reels. Bring along with you a bagful of patience ;)

merlin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by merlin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:16 am

thanks for all the replies
mine just celebrated his first birthday last tuesday =)
it's perhaps a little too early :big grin:

anymore clues about tackle suited for starting at 2?

LordRiper
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LordRiper » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:31 pm

merlin wrote:mine just celebrated his first birthday last tuesday
:shock:

What about a Tactile Teether Fish:

or a COUNTING FISH N NET:

or.. this one, with a reel and rod:

:whistle: :P
-- Salim Giacoman --
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

dvang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dvang » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:37 pm

my son started fishing at 1 n 1/2

he just turned 4 now and can pick his own knots out, fish, cast pretty much everything himself. hes 3ft tall and uses a adult 6ft spinning combo

if i were you id prob start with an underspin combo then to a spinning combo

Jesse Gallup
Angler
Angler

Post by Jesse Gallup » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:34 pm

I agree that underspin is the way to go. I found that the old push buttons were still a little large to get my girls small hands on and be accurate. Of course they did not want Dad helping them out so I was pulling rigs out trees bushes etc.
Got them both underspins and they were able to keep both hands wrapped around the rod and they both got pretty accurate in no time.
Even now my daughter in college likes to put the baitcaster down and throw her old trusty underspin for old times sake.
I can't even begin to think how many fish they caught on that setup over the years. Both rigs are a little tired after 15 years but I will always keep them.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:44 pm

D.R. wrote:A child is never too young to fish. Give them the bug early and they will be hooked for life.

Just my 2 cents.

D.R.
I can't add anymore. That was absolutely perfect D.R. ;)
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:25 pm

I can't wait for my buddy to join me...he just turned three and it will be soon...

Just gotta get him to "mellow out"...he is a TOTAL LIVE WIRE! Like his old man at that age. Maybe this Spring for stocker trout. :D

islandbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by islandbass » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:12 pm

merlin wrote:thanks for all the replies
mine just celebrated his first birthday last tuesday =)
it's perhaps a little too early :big grin:

anymore clues about tackle suited for starting at 2?
The Scooby Doo or like rod (Barbie for girls) is more than adequate at that age. My son started when he was two and turned 3 last month. Nothing fancy, just from the dock is usually enough for kids.

This was earlier this summer. Either that is some serious concentration going for his first bass, or he's wondering when we're going to go to McDonalds. :lol: