Opinion wanted about backbreak reels

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Peter
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Opinion wanted about backbreak reels

Post by Peter » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:18 am

well lets say hi first of all and pls be patient if my writing or anything is not as solid since im a swede just joined :).

I want some help choosing a good reel for my river fishing for trout/salmon over here. It dont have to be a saltwater "reel" since i have one of those allready. Im currently using shimanos sidestab but i have to say when i bought it last year it was quite a good deal since it now looks like to have furfilled it purpose.

What are your guys favorite in continuing smoothnes, cuality, and etc about either shimano or daiwa in first choice. After reading about the stradic review im wondering if this "issue" is a shimano affect?

well, post your experiences with some highclass backbreaking reels and thx for a great site looks like im staying here :)

derringer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Opinion wanted about backbreak reels

Post by derringer » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:55 am

Hi Peter,
I have to go with Daiwa over Shimano. Shimano has a very loyal following here in the states but I think they're pretty overrated and overpriced. I had 4 Shimano reels 10 years ago and all but one got thrown out. If you're a trout fisherman you definitely need a reel with a dependable drag. Daiwa doesn't make the lightest spinning reels but I think they have the best drag for the money.