Need Help: Calling all Crankbait Addicts .

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Need Help: Calling all Crankbait Addicts .

Post by dustlane » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:07 pm

I guess I am a cheapskate, but I like the Strike King Pro Model series 3 crankbaits. They perform pretty well and the price is ideal. It doesn't hurt as bad when lose one and I can find them here really easily.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:37 pm

When I say full bodied crank I mean cranks that arent pancaked like lipless cranks and that arent getting their tight wiggle from a thinner body.

I need full body cranks with a tight wobble because the Bass are absolutely inhaleing them in my area right now. They have gone through nearly all my Peanuts, Model-As, etc and im looking to keep the pressure on em by presenting something new before conditioning sets in, if it hasnt already.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Try to find as well some original Bagleys and Poe's...they will catch fish, but you'll have to pay for them.

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:20 pm

Rapala DT4?

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:42 pm

I know you said save slim bodied but...that is the easiest question to answer in the world of fishing....Original Rapala and Jointed Rapala...Gold.....no fish can resist :) ....you just gotta' learn how to use them....I'll go out on a limb and say it is THE most versatile bait on the market bar none although I'll admit some times of the year are better than others for big fish. The ONLY shortcoming they have if any is the lack of "fast diving" up against weed walls and lily pads etc. I've had limited success with Suspend-dots etc...not quite there but close :?

As stated, the shallow Shad Rap is a winner but I'll tell ya'...not for me, I've had no luck w/them through years of fishing them..maybe it is a confidence thing :| ....I dunno'.

The 3' running Flat DT's TOTALLY kick ass. I catch fish consitently EVERY time I tye one on. My problem w/ them is the fact that the Potomac Rivers back-water creeks are so weed laden and shallow, (6' up to 2'...QUICK!),....the stated 3 foot running depth is a load of crap....either that or they just dig in really good but man....what a fish catcher they are! You should check them out. My go-to colors are the original silver and the Bleeding Olive.....the new Bleeding Olive is a DEADLY color!

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:44 am

iangler wrote:Rapala DT4?
A top producer of mine. Only problem- it has a wide wobble. I need a tight.

Scot wrote:I know you said save slim bodied but...that is the easiest question to answer in the world of fishing....Original Rapala and Jointed Rapala...Gold.....no fish can resist :) ....you just gotta' learn how to use them....I'll go out on a limb and say it is THE most versatile bait on the market bar none although I'll admit some times of the year are better than others for big fish. The ONLY shortcoming they have if any is the lack of "fast diving" up against weed walls and lily pads etc. I've had limited success with Suspend-dots etc...not quite there but close :?

As stated, the shallow Shad Rap is a winner but I'll tell ya'...not for me, I've had no luck w/them through years of fishing them..maybe it is a confidence thing :| ....I dunno'.

The 3' running Flat DT's TOTALLY kick ass. I catch fish consitently EVERY time I tye one on. My problem w/ them is the fact that the Potomac Rivers back-water creeks are so weed laden and shallow, (6' up to 2'...QUICK!),....the stated 3 foot running depth is a load of crap....either that or they just dig in really good but man....what a fish catcher they are! You should check them out. My go-to colors are the original silver and the Bleeding Olive.....the new Bleeding Olive is a DEADLY color!
Ive had no luck with the Shad Raps either who knows.. I completely forgot they came out with a Flat DT series, maybe thats what IA was saying above. I guess ill just settle for flat sided cranks but even though they are producing they arent as much as others I mentioned earlyer. I dont know whats making the Bass in my area hit the full body tight wobble more then the flat body but its something.

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deadlift » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:39 pm

I threw the Daiwa Peanut today and caught two small stripes in 4 casts ... unfortunately, I was in a T. :(

I picked up some Daiwa Shadmasters as an alternate to the Shad Raps, but have yet to throw one. Rapala made a classic with those! I will have to say they are a pain to throw on casting gear and wind!

Will
Amistad Tackle

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:48 pm

deadlift wrote:I will have to say they are a pain to throw on casting gear and wind!

Will
indeed they are... try putting a 1/16 or smaller bullet weight on your line before tying on the Shad Rap. I used to do this and it helped with casting a lot and did not affect my success rate.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:22 pm

deadlift wrote: I picked up some Daiwa Shadmasters as an alternate to the Shad Raps, but have yet to throw one. Rapala made a classic with those! I will have to say they are a pain to throw on casting gear and wind!

Will

Lucky Craft US Shad my friend..... ;)

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deadlift » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:57 am

Cal,
Did it cause the bait to suspend? I have generally moved the smaller SRs to be thrown on spinning now. I still have nightmares from when I was first learning to use casting gear and throwing those in spring ... and watching the cartwheels ... and the lovely bird's nests.

Stringjam,
There's no need to goad the monkey!!!!! Now I have to check this out!!!

GO,
I recently threw the DTF-3 and that thing either has a wide kick and/yaw. It was really not what I expected it to feel like. And it was a beast in the timber!

Regards,
Will
Amistad Tackle

The Natural
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Natural » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:31 am

I share your addiction, but I love to throw all shallow divers. I do find myself throwing the full-bodied wobblers most of the time. The BDS 1 and 2 are just awesome. Ed Chambers (Zoom) wobbler is awesome as well, but is not made anymore. They are fetching some high prices. Heard GREAT things about the Z-baits big bite shallow crank, but Tackle Warehouse has been out forever, and I haven't been able to order a few. Brian's Little B is dynamite- it is a small, full bodied wobbler that will get bit when the big ones don't. I tried to find a pic of a Zoom Wobbler, but couldn't from ebay or anywhere, so I took a pic of mine. I wouldn't trade that chocolate shad to save my life!

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:40 am

Natural: I only throw shallow divers as well. Nice cranks..

Thanks for the posts. Im deffinately going with some WECs. The price is insane for what looks like a normal crank but if theres such a thing as a "sleeper" bait im confident this will be it with its normal looks. The paint jobs are the most durable in the industry I heard.

The Natural
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Natural » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:45 am

GAMEOVER wrote:Thanks for the posts. Im deffinately going with some WECs. The price is insane but if theres such a thing as a "sleeper" bait im confident this will be it with its normal looks. The paint jobs are the most durable in the industry I heard.
Only on the baits not made anymore. He still makes them in small batches, and are only available on two websites. I'll have to find the other one, but Peepers usually has the best stock. I've got some E1's, Stumpy's, and Hicky's on my Christmas list. I see he made a batch of Tapps...those will go fast! Ed Chambers is known as one of the best bait painters to ever live. He signs and dates every bait...

http://www.peepersbaits.com/baits/cranks/wec_main.html
Last edited by The Natural on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:48 am

The Natural wrote:
GAMEOVER wrote:Thanks for the posts. Im deffinately going with some WECs. The price is insane but if theres such a thing as a "sleeper" bait im confident this will be it with its normal looks. The paint jobs are the most durable in the industry I heard.
Only on the baits not made anymore. He still makes them in small batches, and are only available on two websites. I'll have to find the other one, but Peepers usually has the best stock. I've got some E1's, Stumpy's, and Hicky's on my Christmas list. I see he made a batch of Tapps...those will go fast!

http://www.peepersbaits.com/baits/cranks/wec_main.html
Yeah its a remake of the original Tapp. They should be sold out by now, thats the site I have bookmarked and they been up for a bit. Probably made a big batch and are just sitting on them knowing they'll sell.

The Natural
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Natural » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:51 am

The other site that carries them is http://www.bubbajackstackle.com

*edit* New Bait alert!! Check out the 'Sand Flea'...yes please!