New Shimano Spin - casting distance compared to Daiwa?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Shimano Spin - casting distance compared to Daiwa?

Post by aquaholik » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:42 am

I'm using the rig mainly for Pompano and open flats fishing.

You can't swap the spool with the twinpower. The twinpower uses a rigid support drag, like the stella. The new Stradic doesn't even have a bearing under the spool. The twinpower drag is much more refined and have wider range of adjustment.

Ultralight: I think when you are using braid in 6-10lb test, it is so thin already and there are minimal friction, even with the extended spool lip. And since the spool lip is tapered, that friction is reduced even more. I think your choice of rod is going to be more important and you can step down to the thinnest and limpest braid, if you are looking for the most distance. When I make a hard cast and see the line leaving the spool, it makes a very light contact with the spool lip, almost like a perfect very light "feathering" of the spool to make sure that line don't leave in loops.

I think a lot of people who hates 10lb test and under braid(because of windknot) will like this reel because of the excellent line management.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:41 am

dragon1 wrote:GH,

I've been fishing spinning since 1982 and have yet to bend a main shaft in a spinning reel...Daiwa, Shimano, Abu or other.

How did you manage this? And would it have mattered between Daiwa, Shimano or other under the same situation of which it occurred?
For sure it would not have happened with a Stella, or previous daiwa design. The shaft on the Stella is thicker,stronger, and much better protected. Another example the shaft is twice as thick on my Presso, than my Exist 2506.

I think what I experienced could almost be considered a design flaw.

This is what I now think happened. My dad had got hung up with 7lb shooter by the way. The shaft had ascended to it's furthest point.
When my Dad reared back he grabbed the reel with pressure on the spool, and the shaft being at it weakest point , and position..... bent. It bent enough that it was extremely hard to reel in. These are finally tuned machines, so it does not take much.

7lb test by the way. You would have thought the line would break before bending the shaft. Maybe it was a leverage thing.

I easily bent it back, and we fished it the rest of the trip. You can not bend a Stella shaft that way, or a previous Daiwa design this way.

I think in this quest by Daiwa for the lightest reel on the planet there will be trade-offs. One of which will be durability. I do not think the reels are as strong as they bill, if fished hard by someone like my dad, a Tourney man.

For the record he fished the Stella 1000, and 2500 just as hard , and I saw him do the same things when hung up. At the end of a week of hard fishing the Stella was no worse for wear. The EXIST was in pretty rough shape. The EXIST garnered alot more boat rash too. The Stella's with the bumbers was still mint.
Last edited by GamblerHydra on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:42 am

Gamblerhydra,

Very informative. Thanks.

UL

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:02 pm

I got alot of ribbing for it. I had talked up the reel to the ABU/Shimano audience. A big stella, and believe it or not I think ABu suveran (sp) audience?.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:12 pm

Is the main shaft in the Exist 2506 the same as in the deeper spool models or is the shaft thinner/lighter due to the 2506 inherently being designed for lighter lines/techniques? Also, holding the spool from spinning at a bad fulcrum point most definitely didn't do that shaft any favors.

Also, I think the shaft in the Certates are more beefy.

I agree that there are certain things in "older" reel designs that are still better than the "new and improved" ones....and you can take your pick of every manufacturer. I for one, still think that my Tournament Z-C is stronger, better in drag strength/refinement, overall line lay, and casting than the current 1500 size Daiwas.

In the Shimano line-up, I still feel that the Calais 100/Antares AR are so much better than the Met Mg and Cores...esp when retail pricing is compared.

In Abu, I still feel the last generation Morrum and Morrum SX are better than the junk round reels that Abu is trying to pass off now, like the Record or even the Revos for that matter.

Newer technologies and gadgets and lighter materials bring us to the "modern/space age" but doesn't necessarily make for a better reel/car/rod/boat/etc., in terms of overall durability, reliability, fishability and strength.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:24 pm

dragon1 wrote:Is the main shaft in the Exist 2506 the same as in the deeper spool models or is the shaft thinner/lighter due to the 2506 inherently being designed for lighter lines/techniques? Also, holding the spool from spinning at a bad fulcrum point most definitely didn't do that shaft any favors.

Also, I think the shaft in the Certates are more beefy.

I agree that there are certain things in "older" reel designs that are still better than the "new and improved" ones....and you can take your pick of every manufacturer. I for one, still think that my Tournament Z-C is stronger, better in drag strength/refinement, overall line lay, and casting than the current 1500 size Daiwas.

In the Shimano line-up, I still feel that the Calais 100/Antares AR are so much better than the Met Mg and Cores...esp when retail pricing is compared.

In Abu, I still feel the last generation Morrum and Morrum SX are better than the junk round reels that Abu is trying to pass off now, like the Record or even the Revos for that matter.

Newer technologies and gadgets and lighter materials bring us to the "modern/space age" but doesn't necessarily make for a better reel/car/rod/boat/etc., in terms of overall durability, reliability, fishability and strength.
I am pretty sure the differences are the spool and the drag on the 2500,2506,2508 . They all use the ultra fine shaft. (part 15)

I do believe you are correct the certate does use a beefier shaft, at least to memory. I actually am considering picking up a certate hyper custom. I am going to be selling my EXIST, and going back and getting a 2506 Type-R plus. Now that was a reel.

I agree with everything you said. The old man did not do the reel any favors. He is just tough on gear. I never really realized it. Just was a little shocked by the outcome.

Shimano. ...Daiwa they both have there merits. I like them both. I just will not be putting one of my Daiwa's in my dad hands anytime soon, unless the certate hyper custom.

He tried to use my presso's, but I have my limits. :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:31 pm

I concur.