Need frog rod help

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Plitz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need frog rod help

Post by Plitz » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:19 pm

I need some help purchasing a frog frog.I have been looking around for 2 seasons now and finally have had enough.I have been looking at the Team Daiwa Light & Tough Frog Rod,Kistler 7'3" Hvy Frog & Slop and now a Dodyns.I talked a buddy into buying the Daiwa rod,so that I could try it out. I did not like it as much as I thought that I would.So I started looking at the Kistler's.Then comes along the Dobyn rods That everyone says has great balance which I think I would like but maybe not the price tag?I'm also having a hard time picking out which Dobyns would be best for me?I live in Wisconsin where your average frog fish is about 3 pounds,a good fish is 4 pounds and 5's are hard to come by.I need A good stout rod but not a pool cue.I also need to compromise between a rod that will run the slop well and also walk a frog in more open water.I guess the bottom line is the Dobyns going to be worth the extra cash and if so what one do I get. and where is the best place to make the purchase on line? Thx....

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need frog rod help

Post by frogpond11 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:26 pm

I have a 704c model Champion series Dobyns rod and I love it for all sorts of "heavy" applications. I use it for pitching/casting 3/8-5/8 oz jigs, carolina rigs, big spinnerbaits/lipless cranks, and also for frogging. I have yet to really lay into a nice fish in thick cover with the rod, but I have caught several nice fish with it on frogs in open water and I have to say it's an excellent frog rod. However, I find that "frog rods" are a very personal thing...lots of people like lots of different things in their frog rods. Some like a rod with a little more give to it, while others want a broom stick. I'm somewhere in between...I want enough tip to cast the baits well, but I want a solid rod as well. The 704c is a great choice IMO..

Justin

Plitz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need frog rod help

Post by Plitz » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:02 pm

frogpond, Do you think Dobyns has a better rod than the kistler and dawia frog rods that you owned?I think I want a 7'3" rod though would the 734 be the same rod but longer?