Cotton Candy

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
ricky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Cotton Candy

Post by ricky » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:06 pm

Can anybody out their tell me what the color cotton candy is supposed to represent. I could imagine a saltwater shrimp but in freshwater I just don't know. I talking about a see through pink color. Plastic worms, french fries, grubs etc.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Cotton Candy

Post by SLM » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:46 pm

Some baits are made in colors that totally set fish off yet those colors are totally unnatural and never seen in that environment. "Bubble Gum" is one such color that comes to mind...

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:52 pm

anybody ever seen a Chartruese fish or worm? ;)

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Will American bass go after lures patterned after Japanese soft drinks?

They'll probably go after this if they like swill:

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:37 pm

Ya know, I have seen pictures of guys that have caught some nice bass on those beer can lures. However, it always seemed that the skinny fish were always caught on the light beer baits and the nice fat ones were caught on regular beer. :?

kingsriverrat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingsriverrat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:55 pm

As far as the pink colorations go, I think the thing about them is that they are designed to fish either reddish stained water, from red clay and sand, for example, or be 'reaction baits' that stand out a little 'too much' to very active bass.

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:48 pm

a fish finds out if something is real by putting it in its mouth.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:00 pm

Yeah,

And how many self respecting bass can let something with a pink skirt swim by their area without giving it a tap? 8-)

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:54 pm

Could any of our Canadian members attest to their success with bubble gum plastics and smallies?

I've heard bubble gum senkos, dingers, and flukes are murder on Canadian smallies.

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:22 pm

I seldom throw a spinnerbait or swimblade (chatterbait) without putting a cotton candy skirt on it. I don't know what it is about the color but I've caught fish on it everywhere I've tried it. Water color doesn't seem to matter either, clear or dirty. The only difference I make is in clear water I put a light pink trailer on and in muddy water I go with a brighter more fluoroescent pink trailer. Not sure what it represents, but its deadly.

The only clue I've even had to what it might represent is a shad. The shad in my area, if you hold them up to the light, they will have a pinkish to purpleish tint to them at certain angles. But who knows what a bass thinks it is.

oldgeezer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by oldgeezer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:04 pm

Not sure what it represents. I can tell you though that the Kalin Cotton Candy Grubs in 5 inch have been "killer" baits on Smallies in the Glacial NorthEast for years. Now the "secret" is out.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:19 pm

Cotton Candy is one of my absolute favorite Plastic, Jig, Spinnerbait skirt, etc colors. My PB plastic worm Bass came off a Cotton Candy YUM Dinger. As far as fake mainstream market worms go YUM is by far my favorite even over GYCB Senkos. Cotton Candy works awsome in dark and clear water. Its my 3rd favorite color for a plastic.

The color Cotton Candy itself is a pinkish color with I think green and purple flake. Im not completely sure on the flake id have to check.

eastfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eastfisher » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:04 am

Gone Phishin wrote:Could any of our Canadian members attest to their success with bubble gum plastics and smallies?

I've heard bubble gum senkos, dingers, and flukes are murder on Canadian smallies.
I use them all the time, even in crystal clear water. They work well for steelhead as well. I've been using them all season and find for smallmouth it just seems to drive them nuts. Not all the time though. I find red with black ends are killer for Largies. Pink with black line down the middle mainly 4". The 3" work wonders on drop shot rigs for finiky bass.

Image[/img]
Last edited by eastfisher on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Evs » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:07 pm

I have had great success with 4&5" bubblegum senkos and I have even tryed pink tubes with some success. Nothing beats a bubblegum senko though..smallies and largies both love them

MaineFshr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MaineFshr » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Cotton candy is also a great color for sight fishing or spawn time fishing. During the spawn it does not matter what color to the fish but the cotton candy color makes it very easy to see the bait when the fish pickes it up.